Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home networ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hello everyone. I'd just like to say that I've learned more by browsing this site in an hour than I have from the crappy Internet training provided me by my day-job within the last year.

So thanks. :thumbsup:

Anyway...here's my problem:

Win 2000
Playstation 2
D-Link DI-604 Rev E ver 3.51 router
SBC Global DSL modem

I'm having trouble keeping my router connected to the DSL. When I run the installation wizard, it auto-detects my WAN as PPPoE. If I keep this setting however; I can't browse, it says there is no WAN connection. I'm assuming that's the connection between the router and the DSL modem. However, if I go back through the install wiz, and set it to dynamically obtain an IP address, I'm able to browse ok. I've also got a Playstation 2 connected to the router; but I don't think that has anything to do with it, since when I can connect on the computer I can connect on the PS2. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how I can put it right?

It seems to be doing ok so far; but the connection seems to drop after a while when set up like this. Also, it says that most DSL connections use PPPoE, and that most cable modems use the Dynamic IP address WAN connection type setting.

What I would like to do, if I can do it, is set the computer and PS2 to obtain static IPs from the router, and have the router connected to the DSL modem with the correct configuration setup. The static IP's aren't as important to me as getting the connection between the router and the modem set up correctly though.

Thanks for any help.

:flowers: [FONT=Impact][FONT=Impact][FONT=Impact]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

It sounds like you are confusing Static and Dynamic PPPoE (which will connect your router to your ISP via the DSL or WAN link) with static and dynamic IP addressing (which has to do with how your machines are addressed on the locan or LAN side).

Can you confirm that at the stage where you're configuring your router's WAN settings that you're putting in a master username and password for SBC Global? I use that myself at work and for us it's a Dynamic PPPoE connection. The rest of the variables are default. Make sure Auto-Reconnect is enabled.

Under DHCP settings is where you can designate that IP addresses for your machines (2K, PS2) are either dynamically assigned by the router or statically assigned. In my case, I have resorted to statically assigning addresses for all machines on my LAN. It resolved an issue we were having where machines were disconnecting and reconnecting from the router. Note that by enabling static IP addresses for current and known machines (by MAC or hardware address) you can still have dynamic IP addressing enabled to account for any new machines that someone else might bring by.

Hope this helps you.

#3 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

From what you said, I think i might not be putting the master name and password in for SBC global correctly when setting up the WAN settings, seeing as how i just made one up during the setup wizard. I'll try it again once I find what the real one is. Hopefully that should work; then i can statically assign the IPs for the Win2K and PS2 from the router.

Thanks for the help!

#4 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for straightening me out on the differences between static and dynamic PPPoE and static and dynamic IP addressing!

I've now got the router set up using Dynamic PPPoe, with my Win2000 and PS2 with statically assigned IPs from the router/dhcp.

Seems to be connected fine...

so far...lol

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users