Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Graphics card issue

OK, Im having graphics, display or monitor issues and Im not sure what to do next. This system was just custom built for me this past Feb. so anything wrong can and will be fixed. We are having a hard time finding the problem, so I figured Id ask here. The problem is that sometimes images, icons and graphics are replaced by this funny looking color pattern. I dont really know how to explain. At first I noticed it happening to icons or graphics within programs like Microsoft Word 2007. Then it started replacing my desktop image with the same color pattern, but not the desktop icons. My first thought was that there is something wrong with the graphics card which I have not been able to rule out at this point. I also noticed that this color graphics pattern would show up when the system would get warm, so I thought maybe it was the power supply. So I upgraded from a 300 watt to a 500 watt power supply but Im still having the same issue. I have also noticed that if the pc is left on overnight, in sleep/standby mode, it will happen sometime later the next day, like that night. Im thinking it could be the graphics card overheating. Or maybe theres something else wrong with the graphics card. I also think maybe it could be a software issue which I have no idea where to start with finding and fixing that problem. Anyway, I know this is a lot to read, but if anybody has any ideas that could be helpful, Id love to hear them. Thanks.

System info:

OS Windows XP 32 bit system with service pack 3
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core 2.4Ghz processor
3.25 GB of RAM (from 2, 2GB cards)
ASUS M3A78 Motherboard
ATi Radeon HD 4350 Graphics card 512 MB
Realtek Ethernet
Seagate 500 GB hard drive
VIA High Definition Audio VT1708B
500 Watt power supply
LG Flatron 22 LCD monitor
Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
LG Multi DVD ROM drive

Programs used most often;

Photoshop CS3
Microsoft Word 2007
Mozilla Firefox
Windows Media Player 11
AVG 8.5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

What you describe sounds like "artifacting" .
That is usually caused by either overheating or faulty video card memory.

If it were me "id try to exchange [RMA] the video card .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Fairjoeblue, I was thinking the same thing. Now I just have to convince my pc guy to replace the video card. Besides, it is still under warranty. I might try to upgrade if I have the money for it. If not, he can replace it with the same thing and then I'm going to add an internal PCI slot fan. I don't care if it has to run all the time, I just want the v card to work right.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

If a video card has a fan on it a PCI slot fan is a really bad idea !

The video card fan pulls air in to cool it .

a PCI slot fan pulls blows air out of the case.

If you have a PCI slot fan below the video card it may pull the air away from the video card causing it to overheat.
If you have a video card with a "passive" heatsink [no fan] then a PCI slot fan is a good idea.

The X1800 XL I have in this one idles at 60C , it's at 65C now .
[My CPU temp is 44C !]
The newer vidio cards usually run cooler but they still get hotter then most expect.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

No, this card does not have a fan, it does have the heatsink, so I think adding the fan might be ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users