Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help a true novice out.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beastly Swagger

Beastly Swagger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm freeing up space in my small spare room and want to eliminate the need for my TV and it's stand by running my DirecTV receiver all thru my PC.

DirecTV reciever is D11-100 and I have standard service.

HP Compaq Business Desktop D530 SFF.

Mine's Specs,,,
Pentium 4 2.8GHZ
1 GB RAM 160 GB HD
Windows XP Pro
DVDRW

Monitor is AOC 2216Sw .

First of all I would like to know if a USB TV tuner would enable me to hook my DTV receiver's out coaxial to the pc and view it on my monitor. Or if a internal card would be my best option being I'm a complete PC numbnut I'm not sure if I have card slots for a tuner card but I do see 2 blank panels on the back of my PC see pics.

Posted Image

Will these suffice for a internal tuner card ? Also this is my first encounter with a SFF PC I have opened up my older towers before but this one I have no clue how to ? I want to max out the RAM etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Beastly Swagger, 16 May 2009 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

You should have 2 available PCI slots on the riser card. Opening the case if I remember, there should be a latch on the one side of the case lift up on the latch and lift up on the case side. It will give some resistance since its lifting components as well as the case side. Its quite cramped in their because of the SFF you may want to measure and make sure you have room for the card you are thinking of purchasing. Also make sure its PCI and not PCI-E. As for which card to purchase for your needs I am not quite sure since I have no personal experience with these types of cards. The best way to determine would be to match your requirements with an internal card (are you going to record allot, does the card need to decrypt the singnal) and match one with your budget.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Beastly Swagger

Beastly Swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks I do see a latch off to the right on top that must be it.

I'm not as concerned with recording as I am to just have clear signal reception.

Edited by Beastly Swagger, 16 May 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have a PCI "E Z TV Tuner" card I bought off of ebay for $20, [free delivery]

It came with a little remote control , a great TV tuner program [disk], & everything neccessary to make it work.

The thing really suprised me, it works great ! :thumbsup:

The only issue is that when some of the channels are accessed they will be B&W for a couple of minutes before they go to color.
[Only a few though]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 May 2009 - 01:19 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Beastly Swagger

Beastly Swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

Na I just want to run my DTV receiver thru my pc.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you want to run any kind of TV through your computer you are going to need a TV input device .

The only practicle reasons I can see for running TV through a computer is to use the computer as a TV or record programs.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Beastly Swagger

Beastly Swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Na I need to free up space in a room and my new LCD monitor trumps my 11 year old TV so with the PC option I can remove the tv and it's stand etc.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

The reason I put a TV Tuner card in a PC was exactly the same.

Any way you go about it you will need a TV Tuner device to watch TV on the computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users