Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading graphics and PSU

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 XKharneth

XKharneth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hello everyone, I have recently been looking at upgrading my graphics card to this one. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=3585

My computer was bought a few years ago from Dell, and I have since upgraded my system's RAM from 1 GB, all the way up to it's max of 4 GB.

My current graphics card is an ATI Radeon X600, which I'm pretty sure isn't the Pro version.
My current power supply has a max DC output of only 305W.

I know for sure that I will need to upgrade my PSU, but I am having trouble with figuring out which one I should buy, seeing as the graphics card I am looking at needs 500W minimum. If anyone could suggest a good PSU for this graphics card, I would be very thankful.

If I need to, I can also try and sell my current card and PSU for a little extra spending money (My parents are also willing to help me out with buying something money wise, if need be)

I could use some guidance as to what to do at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:15 AM

Since you have a Dell, and it was "bought a few years ago", verify the motherboard connector is standard ATX.

Most likely it uses a standard ATX psu. My humble choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139005 or:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139003

to save a few bucks.

The "500 watt" recommendation is a bit misleading. A GTX 260 pulls about 140 watts fully loaded. so you can figure out your CPU TDP, add another 30 watts and you get pretty close to your wattage requirements. IE., a 100 watt TDP cpu with a GTX 260 would use ~270 watts maxxed out. Good rule of thumb, have a PSU with about 1/3 excess capacity. 450 to 500 watts is a good minimum for your system. If you have future expansion/upgrade plans, plan accordingly. Pay attention to the amperage ratings on the 12V rail(s). Cheap/garbage PSUs have big numbers on the 3.3 and 5V rails to make the overall numbers look good.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 XKharneth

XKharneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

So, if my motherboard is a standard ATX, those would be good PSUs for my computer? How do I figure out what the motherboard connector is?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

So, if my motherboard is a standard ATX, those would be good PSUs for my computer?

Well, yes, or I wouldn't have suggested them.
Excellent site for PSU reviews: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

How do I figure out what the motherboard connector is?

If it is an older system with a PII or PIII then it might have the Dell spec connector. P4 and later systems use standard ATX connectors. If a PCI-E card will fit your mobo, then you have no worries.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

What CPU do you have in that Dell? You don't want a bottleneck. Jonnyguru is an excellent site, that's where I discovered Corsair PSU's, and yes, they are very well built.

3939.png

#6 XKharneth

XKharneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Okay, well I'm pretty sure my ATI Radeon X600 is a PCI-E, so that's good.

I'm not sure what CPU I have. Where should I look to find out?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

There are a number of ways to determine your CPU. In your computer's Device Manager, found in the control panel, there will something called Processors. Your CPU is listed under that category. You can find an image of the device manager here.

3939.png

#8 XKharneth

XKharneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I have two CPUs under Processors, and they are:

Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz
Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

The Pentium D's were one of the earlier dual-core processors. It was later replaced by the Core CPU's. Your CPU is fine and will be for at least the near future. Make sure, if you get a new GPU, to get a quality PSU and ensure that your computer case has the room for the new graphics card.

3939.png

#10 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

Consider this card...it should work with your current psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127415

#11 XKharneth

XKharneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

DJBPace07, I will probably go with one of the two PSUs suggested by dpunisher, which one depending on how much I can spend.

Also, thanks skiplc, that card seems to be a good fall back plan.

Seems my biggest concern right now is having enough space for the GTX 260 Core 216. I will check if I have enough room in my case tomorrow, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users