Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Re: computer Compaq Presario 5301 vintage 1999. OS Windows 98. I am considering erasing my hard drive and starting over. I have a Windsows 98SE which says ; for distribution with a new PC only and on the bottom section says; Microsoft Windows 98 for PCs without windows. Question; Will this CD serve as my re installation disk? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

Most probably Yes.

Just plug the CD in and boot off it. (Make sure you have set the boot order with CD first ad hard disk second in the BIOS)

If the setup starts fine, then its ok.

Edited by Romeo29, 16 May 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:30 AM

Your going to need the product key so make sure you have that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

Re: computer Compaq Presario 5301 vintage 1999. OS Windows 98. I am considering erasing my hard drive and starting over. I have a Windsows 98SE which says ; for distribution with a new PC only and on the bottom section says; Microsoft Windows 98 for PCs without windows. Question; Will this CD serve as my re installation disk? Thanks

Now to do the job correctly you are better of formatting the drive so its all clean and it checks fore any drive errors when its formatted. First of all you need to save all your important files so you don't loose them. Either burn them to a CD or get a flash drive that compatible with Win98SE.

You can download a boot disk from here. You can get either a Win98SE or a WinME they both do the same job. Once you have a boot disk made up you need start you comp up with the boot disk inserted. If it doesn't start to read the floppy drive first you need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS/CMOS to boot from floppy first. After you have started up from floppy and you get to the A:\ just type in Format C: and follow the instructions. After the drive has been formatted you need to go back and change the boot sequence again so it boots from the CD Rom. Start the comp up again with the Win98SE CD inserted and follow the installation procedure.

Now the only other problem you could have is the drivers for your additional hardware e.g. sound card, graphics card, printer, scanner etc. You maybe able to get these of the manufacturers web site or you could search DriverGuide. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users