Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently rescued a Compaq Presario from a trash pile, and certain death, along side a country road. Now I'm trying to get it working so that I can give to my little niece.

I've already overcome a couple of problems, kicked a lot of trash and online game programs to the curb, and installed an additional 1 GB of RAM.

Next comes a problem that I can't figure out. The PC is running Windows XP Home Edition, and something strange is happening.

I would have it running just fine, the length of time would very from 30 minutes to several hours, then all of a sudden it was like the monitor would go into hibernate and get stuck there. I would have to hold the power button to shut the PC down. Then when I would reboot everything worked normally again.

Then after a couple of days of this I went to a Big Box store (by the same initials) and told one of their Techs what was happening. I was told to bring the PC in and that they would run a diagnostic on it for me FOR FREE.

Well their free part was downloading, and then leaving, some AV program to the desk top after having hooked up a monitor, then running the AV program and telling me that there wasn't any virus, and that the PC worked, and that it was going to cost me $79 USD to go any farther.

I told that dude "thank you but no thank you" and was about to leave when I saw a worker that I knew. I stopped and described the problem to him and he said that his best guess would be that the video card was about to die.

So I picked up a new graphics card. When I got home I read the install sheet and while following the instructions I discovered that there was NO graphics card in the PC to start with, it had already been removed.

OK, so I was just starting to go to device manager to disable the integrated graphics card, or whatever it's called, when the monitor shut down again, and nothing would come back on at all. Every time I rebooted the monitor went to sleep within 5 seconds.

Next I'm heading back to the big box store but decided to stop at a little home grown PC repair shop first. That guy hooked the PC up and when it started but didn't boot he opened it up, wiggled a few things around, pulled out the phone modem card, and the darned thing booted right up.

Then when I get home, hook everything back up, and nothing happens ahain! I went back to him and the darned thing boots up with no problem at all.

I noticed that the only difference in our two setups was that my surge suppressor is antique, and has a long power cord, whereas his was new and wired straight into his wall.

So I decided to give plugging the PC and monitor into their own wall outlet to see if that would make a difference..., it did, and the machine booted with no trouble, however, after it had been running for several hours, "WHAM!", the display went black again and all I see is the little yellow light staring back at me once again.

The machine starts, however, it doesn't seem to be able to find the monitor. The monitor is up and running, and blaming the PC for not finding it.

OK, that's pretty much everything that has happened so far. Now I am kind of like a mule stuck between two bales of hay and wondering which one to go to.

So I guess my question at this point is; "Is my problem with the PC's power supply or the video graphics card thingy?

If anyone has any suggestions as to which way I should proceed I'd sure be grateful.

I don't know if I posted this in the wright forum or not but if it's in the wrong place I'll understand if a Moderator moves it.

Thanks for any help and to all who reply.

Wendy

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

The first thing I would do is replace the motherboard battery .
Should be a CR2032,

Next I would install the video card.
When you install the video card it should default to it.
You could go in to the BIOS setup & see if you can disable the onboard video or set it to the video card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hi fairjoeblue, Thanks for the speedy reply, and thanks to whoever moved this to the correct forum too.

OK, changing the motherboard battery sounds like a plan to me..., now if I just knew where that little bugger was hiding :thumbsup: . I know what the motherboard looks like but I haven't a clue as to where to look to find the battery.

I know that if you can give me an idea of where to look I can probably get it done. I need to get into the BIOS to setup a couple of passwords so that people can't sneak in through that back door so I could hunt for the video or display settings at the same time.

But first I have got to be able to get that darned thing to boot and stay running long enough for me to be able to get into the BIOS.

I'll try searching *goes jabbing away inside of pc with a screw driver* for that battery and see if I can find it, meanwhile if you could tell me right where to look it might save me from electrocution.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

The battery is a small watch battery about the size of a quarter it should be silver in color. Could you give us the model number of the Pc so we can look up some information on it?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Be carefull when removing the battery
There is a little silver [meta] spring latch that has to be compressed toward the plastic part of the battery holder.
The battery will pop up on one side when you get it released right.

If you just pry it out you'll break the holder.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:19 AM

Hi Sneakycyber, Hi fairjoeblue, thanks for the quick replies guys.

*taking off rubber gloves & boots* OK, First the PC is a Compaq Presario Mod SR1232OM <-- not sure if that's an"O" or a "0" befor the M. Sorry about not thinking of putting the Mod # in my original post.

Anyway :thumbsup: I got real brave and went scurrying around inside that bad boy like I knew what I was doing and I finally spied what had looked like a "+" sign on something round and shiny, that turned out to be the battery.

It was stuck way back on the lower right end of the motherboard and was kind of hiding behind some wires. There was a little flat metal thingy that looked like it was supposed to be coming down across the top of the battery with a little finger on the end pointing down and kind of holding the battery in place.

I eased that thingy up with one finger while I used a pair of long nosed pliers to catch that thing and ease it out of the holder that it was in. It was indeed a CR2032 battery.

When I lifted that little latch looking thingy the battery didn't do any popping up anywhere but I didn't have to use any force to get it out either, it slid out real easy, is there a chance that it hadn't been properly installed to start with?.

Now that I have it out..., how do I check it to see if it is indeed dead? Or do I just skip that part and get a new one? Think I'll get a new one just for grins and chuckles anyway.

Thanks again for your time and help guys.

Wendy

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

There are 2 different kinds of battery holders.
One like I described & 1 like you have.
What holds the battery in the one you have is obvious.
One like I described it isn't
The only one that the battery pops up in is like the one I described.

As for the battery, just get a new one.
They aren't expensive & are worth replacing in older computers.

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi fairjoeblue, Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking that I should just go ahead and replace it. As for the different types of latches, I'm glad that this one was so obvious, and easy to use because if it hadn't been I would have lugged the PC back to the repair shop again.

I mean not actually knowing what I'm doing inside of one of those things causes me to be extra cautious as even just opening the case is a bit scary to me.

I'll post back after I get a new battery, which will probably be tomorrow, and let you guys know what happened.

Wendy

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

Well, I went to the big box store, looking to buy a battery, today and much to my dismay I was told that they don't sell motherboard batteries. :thumbsup: Bummer that was.

So I did some searching and came across this page --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...CR2032%20batery

Now I need to ask; Does the fact that the name of the battery on that page has "RV2032" in its name and mine only has "CR2032" on the battery make any difference or are they both indeed the same battery?

I'll wait for some clarification before I order that sucker.

Something else that has me puzzled is the fact, that after reading some of the stuff on that site, I realized that I never did get any kind of error message when the machine decided that it was time for the monitor to go off. It just went black and that was it.

Thanks for any insight that you may have.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 18 May 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

"Startech RV2032 Lithium CMOS CR2032 "

That battery will be fine.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hi fairjoeblue, Thanks for the reply

Thanks. My battery says KTS CR2032 on it. When I saw the different name on newegg's page I kind of thought that the only difference was in the manufacture's name being on it, however I wasn't really sure.

Wendy

#12 kuttis

kuttis

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

Hi, i have the same problem with my Compaq Presario but my monitor doesnt turn on at all anymore, about 2 months ago it was only working for 30 mins everytime i turned
it on and off, but now the monitor doesnt turn on.

My Compaq Presario model number is SR5040AN

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hi kuttis, That's kind of what mine has done now :thumbsup: . I still have to try a new motherboard battery to see if it will do any good.

So have you tried opening a topic and seeing if anyone could help you with your problem?

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users