Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk Freezes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 infidel

infidel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

I just hooked up a new Seagate 300 Gig firewire drive. I formatted it in NTFS and loaded it up with files. I use only one application with this particular drive (the app itself is installed on the C drive), and the app crashes signifigantly more often than when I use it with my D drive. Initially the drive was almost full; I thought this might be part of the reason for the crashes, so I off-loaded enough files to bring it down to 84 percent of capacity. In the process, I found a file that was corrupted and couldn't be copied to the other drive.

After deleting the files to get the firewire drive down to 84 percent of capacity, I wanted to run Scandisk and then defrag it, but Scandisk freezes during stage 1 or 2 (usually 2) of the scan when I run it. Scandisk works fine on the C and D internal drives.

I have uninstalled all anti-virus software, and to the best of my knowledge there are no TSR's or any other software running in the background.

1) Any idea why Scandisk is hanging up while scanning the firewire drive and what can be done to get a complete scan? Should I try to defrag without scanning first...I don't have another drive yet to back all these files up so I'm a bit hesitant to do that, particularly since there appears to be a corrupted file on the disk.

2) I tried to run it in safe mode, but the firewire drive doesn't show up, I guess the drivers don't load. Is it possible to run the firewire while in safe mode and try a scan that way?

Running Windows XP Home v. 5.1.2600 (just updated), ASUS motherboard, Athlon XP 1800+ at 1536 MHz, 512 megs RAM.

Thanks,
Infidel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users