Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incrypting/protecting files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raker

Raker

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question..

I have some personal data files that I have to share with other people from my office. I usually would backup these files to thumb drive and hand it to the person who needed it. I am worried about having these files floating on a usb thumb drive that could easily be misplaced and have someone just plug it in and start reading it. There are a couple laptops that we use in the field that we end up having sensitive information on them.

How do I encrypt these files? If encrypted will I still be able to back them up on a thumb drive and have the other people be able to read them?
The operating systems we are using are primarily Windows XP Pro, Windows 2000, and most recently Vista Ultimate.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Most thumb drives are formatted in FAT or FAT32, neither of which support encryption directly (as NTFS, which is used by Windows 2000 and newer, does.) So, you'll need a third-party application to encrypt your files. There are hundreds of such apps, so here are two good ones:

Truecrypt:
This is a wonderful, though somewhat complicated program. It can create a virtual encrypted hard disk as a file, which you can then save other files to. Simply copy/move the encrypted hard drive file to you flash drive and worry no more.

Remora USB Disk Guard:
I've never tried this one, but it looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for. It's got a pretty high rating at Softpedia, too.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hi Guys,

For what it's worth, I gave TrueCrypt a go awhile back and it works grate. There's a heck of a lot of reading that needs to be done to understand how that critter works but it's well worth it in the end.

I think that TrueCrypt has something like 3 levels of encryption that you can use to. I had to play with it for a week or so to figure out what I was doing.

One thing for sure though, you had better remember which virtual drive you stuck your files on and don't lose your password or you're doomed.

During my trial and error testing I did both. :thumbsup: I forgot which virtual drive I had used and forgot which PW I had used.

Luckily I was only using junk files anyway.

OK, that's my .02 worth.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

An easy encryption software is HandyBits EasyCrypto Deluxe. It used 128 bits Blowfish encryption which is good enough for your use.

http://www.handybits.com/easycrypto.htm

Edit:
Forgot to mention its free for personal use.

Edited by Romeo29, 16 May 2009 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users