Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed with probably stupid question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi people,
Most of you will probably think this is a dumb question but being almost 60yrs old and not having grown up with computers I have a query to ask. I have done a search and also googled the subject but I am still a little bit unsure.
I would like to know the proper way to make a back up data CD?. I would like to make a back up data CD of most of my installed programs but especially my Comodo CIS suite, Avira Antivirus and also my other security programs so that in the event I want to reformat my PC I can do it all offline only connecting to the internet when it is safe to do so.
I have successfully made both audio and video CD's using Windows Media Player 11 and would like to know if it is just a similar procedure ie download said program to desktop, place blank disc in tray and close it, then use the onscreen instructions to make a data CD. I think this is correct but am unsure as I think I might only copy the program icon instead of the complete program.
My Operating System is Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hi There bluesjunior.

You might want to investigate a method known as slipstreaming Go here for a complete rundown: http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm

That site will give you all the knowledge you need to do what you are trying to do Nlite is the application you need to effect slipstreaming and you can download/install this free app right from a link provided in the tutorial.

Once you go through the process a few times you will be able to create your own bootable recovery disk with everything you wish to include on your re-installation disk to include your Windows Operating System w/ Service Pack 3 and any and all of your security utilities included.

Once you have successfully completed your disk simply wipe your hard drive and pop your slipstreamed disk into your optical drive and install away.

I have used this program successfully and found it to be a very nice project to learn about and do. It works!

hope this helps!

ranger72 :thumbsup:

Edited by ranger72, 16 May 2009 - 09:01 AM.

So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

For an explanation of the use of XP's built in software:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

For a really decent CD/DVD/ISO freeware program:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/CDBurnerX...cdburnerxp.html

Using the freeware program you can do much more than what XP's built in software or WMP can and it is really easy to use (Novice Friendly).
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

And here is another great site which has tute on slipstreaming: http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

Once you get the hang of this process you will love it!

ranger72 :thumbsup:

#5 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

And a great call by OldGrumpyBastard for the free application of "CDBurnerXP" I use that wonderful, easy to use, free program myself and actually I use that to create my slipstream disks!

And OGB's 1st link answers your specific question while the links i posted gives you a great alternative.

Ha! Ha! Ha! My wife calls me a Grumpy Old Bastid! Do you think we might be related? :thumbsup:

Regards to you both!

ranger72 :flowers:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

FWIW: A data CD...is not going to do you any good when it comes to installed programs...unless you have the original uninstalled program versions included as data files (.exe files, .zip files, etc.).

If the programs that you want to backup...came installed on your system and you have no way to install them other than doing a system recovery/restore operation (using means provided by the manufacturer of your system)...probably the best thing for users like you to do would be to clone the existing install (O/S, programs, anything on the boot partition) to another hard drive.

I just completed playing with a free program that will enable you to do this, provided you follow the instructions for using it.

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-...4-10863346.html

Louis

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Thanks guys I think I will go for GOM's snapfiles solution.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Just to add to the list of slipstreaming tutorials, we have one written by our own Sneakycyber, here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

I don't really mean slipstreaming. I just want to be able to install my security programs without going online unprotected. Also as my PC is 5-6yrs old some of the original installation discs that came with it ie graphics and soundcards for example have updated drivers and it is more that kind of thing I would like to have on disc so that I can install the latest updates from the get go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users