Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG updates keep failing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 becks

becks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hi

I am having trouble updating my AVG it keeps saying failed server is forbidden, i have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it but still no look.

please help!

Edited by The weatherman, 16 May 2009 - 10:48 AM.
Moved from HJT to a more appropriate forum. TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

What version of AVG are you using?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 becks

becks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

hi

AVG 8.5

#4 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

I use AVG and never had that problem before. But I do sometimes get "update failed server connection" never server FORBIDEN . What firewall are you using? Could be that blocking the update connection

Edited by theeviltwin69, 18 May 2009 - 01:00 PM.

#5 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

well this is the news which has been posted on their website, i hope u get some help from it:

Our technology department is currently working on improving one of the main servers responsible for providing updates of AVG Free Edition. This maintenance may have, under specific circumstances, effect on availability of update files on our servers. Backup systems, which are now in charge of providing updates, may be from time to time overloaded with customer requests and we are doing our best in order to improve their function to remedy this issue. If you encounter issue with “Update failed”, please retry in a few minutes to update AVG manually (open AVG User Interface, click the “Update now” button).

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. In a week time, new improved update servers should be available.

Update: AVG technology dept. will continue working on upgrading the main server. However, the load should be balanced on other update servers. This unfortunately doesn't clear the updates to be fully available at all times. Technology guys are doing their best to finish the works.

Sorry for the delay.

#6 becks

becks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

ok thanks i will keep trying

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#7 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

but also make sure that you are not infected from any rootkit like gaopdx which can only be detected by the avg ant-antirootkit tool (freeware, no update required) just 1 MB in size, this is the rootkit which blocks updates

#8 koolkat

koolkat

• Banned
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

:trumpet: AVG is garbage !!

:thumbsup: Here is a better idea try Avast ( free Anti-virus ) http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Or Avira ( free Anti-virus ) the red umbrella company has over 20yrs in fighting viruses . :inlove:

http://www.avira.com/en/download/

Definitely scan after downloading one of them. There could be malware blocking your updates on AVG. :flowers:

For rootkit bugs I use Panda Anti-Rootkit (totally free & better than AVG). You can get here.

http://research.pandasecurity.com/archive/...rsion-1.07.aspx

If you think you have Rogue-Ware then SuperAntiSpyware,Malwarebytes & Ad-Aware will do the trick on killing those bugs
and their free.

Edited by koolkat, 22 May 2009 - 01:22 AM.

#9 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

avg is no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy a garbage

I was infected by a virut which cannot be detected by any antivirus software but its avg free which killed almost all the infections, but still i had to reformat becoz of the damages, its also good to see that avg has small size updates for a poor man like me

AVG 8 free ROCKS forever, it has 80 million users in the world

anyway even other softwares are very good

#10 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

There's no sense in arguing which is a better software or whether one is a garbage or not. Each software has its own advantages and that makes it a product (Business dudes you know what I mean) The choice of what software to use is just a matter of personal preference.

As far as I know, all the software you guys mentioned are all reliable and good performing. Of coarse you'll hear negative comments about all of them. That's really how things go in the world of business products.

Once again it all boils down to personal preference.

Back to the original thread,

I'm also using AVG Free 8.5 and I'm not encountering such problems. I suggest that you just follow suggestions above. (about maintenance and rootkit issue)

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 22 May 2009 - 10:37 AM.

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#11 koolkat

koolkat

• Banned
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I was infected by a virut which cannot be detected by any antivirus software but its avg free which killed almost all the infections

:flowers: Dude , you can remove Virut completely ( :thumbsup: without AVG ) using PC Tools Spyware Doctor just go here
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-virut.html

or free here from Norton Symantec W32.Virut Removal Tool
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-022016-4444-99

Edited by koolkat, 22 May 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#12 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

You can remove virut completely without avg

oops then i made a mistake :thumbsup:

but I only wanted to tell you that avg is not at all a garbage but yes other softwares are also better :flowers:

#13 koolkat

koolkat

• Banned
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Update : Good News :thumbsup: Also Malwarebytes & Windows Defender can now remove Virut .

:flowers: Bad News is there are now new different versions of Virut.

Edited by koolkat, 23 May 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#14 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

You can't remove virut, koolkat. Even if you could, you'd spend the next day or two on just reinstalling everything that virut infected or something like that.

Edited by scff249, 23 May 2009 - 03:47 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#15 koolkat

koolkat

• Banned
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

You can't remove virut, koolkat. Even if you could, you'd spend the next day or two on just reinstalling everything that virut infected or something like that.

:thumbsup: Dude ,I just already proved you can remove Virut ( at least the original version) and of course your files will be damaged so you'll have to delete them and start over. The main point is getting the bug off your PC.

:trumpet: Never say can't unless you know for a fact & even then time does change the facts now doesn't it ?

:flowers: Now the question is can the new versions of Virut be removed ?

Edited by koolkat, 23 May 2009 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users