Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you make your own Recovery Disks?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:44 PM

My brother bought a brand new computer with XP Home Edition on it. There were no recovery disks and after confirming it really was brand new from the manufacturer (Sony), we phoned them to inquire about the absence of the disks.
Sony assured us that it was true they didn't come with disks and that if we felt we needed them, to make our own. I find this ridiculous and questionable.
I'm not saying it can't be done but that's why I am here. How do you make your own recovery disks? My Sony computer came with several disks for recovery applications, drivers, etc...
Plus, I'm sure you will all be hearing a lot from me as XP is very foreign to those of us who use other OS. I was frustrated enough when My Computer didn't appear on the desktop and finally getting it there was no simple task for my brother.
I've already spoken to Grinler about this situation and he and I both firmly believed that no brand new computer should or would ever come without recovery disks. I am still in shock that Sony confirmed this as correct information.
Well, anyway, this is the first of many questions. How do you make your own recovery disks for a system that uses XP home edition?
Thanks,
~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

I'm not saying it can't be done but that's why I am here. How do you make your own recovery disks? My Sony computer came with several disks for recovery applications, drivers, etc...

I am curious as to what is on these disks and if there is not something to allow a system recovery lurking there somewhere. I would also check the Windows HELP section; Sony probably has all the information you need to either recover yourself or to make your own disk.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:39 PM

My Hewlett-Packard didn't come with a recovery disk either, it had a recovery partition but it was up to me to create the recovery disk. It did have an option to create one though, and the shortcut to it was right on my desktop. Try looking in Start>All Programs and see if you can find a shortcut to create a recovery disk.

If there isn't one, get back on the phone with Sony and politely ask (demand) help in creating one. I find it ridiculous that company's are allowed to do this to people.

Edited by Ronbo, 28 August 2004 - 04:40 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

I too, find it a questionable practice for a major computer manufacturer not to have the recovery disks. Have you thought of searching for the model name, to see if they can at least be ordered? I would even go to their website and look in the FAQs. Im sure that if others have called Sony about it, that at least the reason would be there-Im sorry, but the answer they gave you, that it is the norm now, just doesnt cut it. Just for grins, you might even want to Google for the product key on WIN XP. You should at least have a sticker on the case that has it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:21 PM

What i find confusing is that if you go to the sony site, it shows that it includes a recovery cd with the computer.

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:37 PM

Thanks to all of you for replying. I'm still waiting for my brother to get back from the lake so I can get the answers to your questions. I'll be sure to get the exact model # as well. I'll get back here with the info and we'll go from there.

~67~

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2004 - 08:05 AM

I need one too.....my disk Hp said was bad......I posted a forum but with no help am here....They told me to go buy another one......Nerds! It took them 4 hours to tell me that and 30 helping people.......... Anybody got any ideahs go to their thing and ask how? look for a icon......I dont think I have one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users