Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bad Sectors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeistPCP

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

I have a few bad sectors. When I'm trying to boot up my computer it will tell me to run scandisk so when I run scan disk it will say that an error occured preventing scandisk from correcting an error. Does anyone know any programs I can download to correct bad sectors?

PS - I hate this old crappy computer. I really do need to get my dell a new power supply -_-.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jubalsams

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:07 AM

Geeze, if sectors are bad, how can software fix hardware?

If you have DISKEDIT on a floppy and are DOS savvy:

Clusters marked as bad are found in the FAT as followes:
FAT12 7 FF
DISKEDIT: DISKEDIT C: /w start in write mode
Alt+F1 first fat
Ctrl+S search dialog
TAB enter hex area
F7 FF FF 0F Ctrl+G to continue search

You can force ScanDisk for Windows to retest bad clusters by modifying the value
for the following registry key:

Applets\Check Drive\Settings

This registry key will exist only if ScanDisk for Windows has already been run at least once. To have ScanDisk test clusters that have been marked as bad, modify the Settings value so that the last two digits are "04." For example, if the current value for Settings is:
B1 03 40 00

change it to read:
B1 03 40 04

Once you modify the value for Settings, ScanDisk for Windows will retest any
clusters marked as bad (one time).

Or if you just wanna stop the scan every boot modify this line in MSDOS.SYS:

#3 Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:43 AM

:thumbsup: Tick box in scandisk to auto correct errors,which it doesn't- it will overwrite
and mark them as unusable.Try running scandisk in "safe" mode to avoid the error message.Disk Dr from nortons is good,but not THAT good.Not sure if scandisk
corrects defects but they don't show up twice-run it repeatedly until it's clear &
doesn't report bad sectors anymore.

#4 Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

Check the hard drive manufacturers site for their diagnostic software. They have some really good utilities that will let you know exactly what is going on. Yes, software can repair hardware in this case and many others. Thats why you flash a Bios or other firmware.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users