Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Every Hour Internet Disconnect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys, have a problem driving me nuts. First the basics:
Win XP SP3
Cable internet
Wired Connection
Motorola modem
No router, switch, etc.

When I boot up, my system goes through normal start-up and my internet connection is fine. One hour later (yep it's that regular) some "glitch" happens. A little message psps up telling me that I am connected @ 100 MBps. However, at that point, no data will move through my connection: can't connect to webpages, no chat programs, can't ping...nothing! If I reboot, I am good for another hour. Using Event Viewer, I see this recurring pattern whenever it happens:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 5/14/2009
Time: 8:33:48 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ERIC
Description:
Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 24.180.45.246 on the Network Card with network address 00508D7E651C.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1007
Date: 5/14/2009
Time: 8:33:59 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ERIC
Description:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00508D7E651C. The IP address being used is 169.254.57.178.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Any ideas? AVG, Spybot S&D, and MBAM all show a clean bill of health now. I did have an encounter with Vundo.H but MBAM killed that.

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EricJ

EricJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Update: it seems to have something to do with DHCP. When I had it running with normal setup, i.e. DHCP enabled (obtain IP address automatically etc.) And I'd reboot, the machine would connect and act properly for one hour. My ipconfig /all report showed all the normal stuff, but then it showed as well that my lease on the IP was only good for one hour. And right on schedule, I lose the connection with the event viewer showing the errors mentioned above.

So just for the hell of it, after another reboot I ran ipconfig, and copied down the IP settings. Then I opened the network settings up for my connection, and *disabled* dhcp and entered the data I had into the manual settings, figuring to force it to stay with the now working IP. And voila, it has, my system has been running and stayed connected since. I have no idea how long this "fix" will work, so now I guess I need to know what to do to repair the DHCP.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users