Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank monitor dst short test error code 1000 - 0146

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ksjl92

ksjl92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

so recently ive been trying to hook up my lap top to my hdtv and ive been messing around trying to get the screen to display. the other day i turned on my dell inspiron notebook and found that after the boot screen the screen goes black/blank. i can hear the desktop and i hear my mouse so i know that the desktop is there. the monitor is just not responding. i did a diagnostic test on the computer and got the error message dst short test error code 1000 - 0146. What does this mean? is this why my monitor won't respond. please any help would be appreciated. i just want my laptop to work again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

So "dst short test error code 1000 - 0146" is the full error message?

#3 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hi There ksjl92

Welcome to the forums.

A quick google search of the error code you have provided points to a failing or perhaps already failed hard drive. If your machine is still under warranty you may be able to return it to Dell for installation of a new hard drive.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dst+short+t...lient=firefox-a

And the question of the day is; Have you been backing up your data on a regular basis?

You may be able to recover your data if the drive has not totally failed.

Here are some Google links on that subject: http://www.google.com/search?q=recovering+...lient=firefox-a

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

ranger72 :thumbsup:

Edited by ranger72, 16 May 2009 - 07:59 AM.

So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#4 ksjl92

ksjl92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

yeah thats the full error code. it only appears when i run the diagnostic test in diagnostic mode. thats the only problem that seems to be detected. also i just tried to boot in in safe mode but its stuck on a file called mup.sys please i dont know what to do should i just replace the harddrive with a new one

#5 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

is your machine under warranty or not?

do you have your important data backed up or not?

Try to determine what kind of hard drive you have. The name of the manufacturer, the model number of the hard drive and its size and then once we know that we can utilize testing software at the manufacturers website which will determine if it actually is a failing hard drive. The error code you provided indicates that hard drive is possibly failing.

If you answer the the questions that are asked of you then some one of us can help you further. But you need to help us help you by answering the questions properly.

It is a holiday weekend where I live and I will be gone and away from my computer until next tuesday; I will be here for a while today. There are many others here willing to help if you answer the questions asked.

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users