Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Constantly Slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

I can't find a rational explanation for why this computer is slow and was hoping you could point me to some tools or diagnostics that would increase my ability to target the issue.

The computer does take more than 2 minutes to boot from cold.
Logging into our network takes just as long - and shouldn't, as other PCs at this site don't take that long.
Nothing unusual is found in msconfig when I check the startup tab. Nothing there is making is slow to boot.
Nothing in task manager is eating up resources to indicate potential virii.
Process Explorer (not that I'm an expert in using it) reports back mostly clean.

So, I'm scratching my head. What should I be looking for or trying next? Any general ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Correction: searchfilterhost.exe is currently eating 40-50% of my processor power. But the computer performs sluggishly even when that process reads at 0% of my processor power.

I'm not sure what to make of that result.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Louis

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

You have a HJT log posted and soon to be answered
You should not be making any changes to your system while going through the process
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

Sorry. I have several computers. This one is different than the one I have an HJT log posted for.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

If those computers were networked...you probably ought to wait until your potential malware issues on the one system...are clarified.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users