Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Mgmt : Used to have 320gigs, Now i have 300?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yaga

yaga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

Hope i'm putting this in the right section.

My hard drive is supposed to be 320Gigs but is actually 300Gigs, & i have absolutely no idea where that 20Gigs went. Here's a quick background on where i think the space went to (but can't get back)...

My computer came w/Vista 64bit when i bought it. Eventually, i decided to give Linux a shot... so i dual booted Debian & Vista (using GRUB as the BIOS & Debian as the default OS). Well, shortly after i decided i didn't like Debian & deleted it (& GRUB), & went back to Vista & the previous BIOS. Currently, my computer is working well... booting up fast as heck, never any issues, etc.

I forget (lol) how i specifically got rid of Debian, but i know i used MBRFix along with reformatting the partitions back. Is it possible the 20Gigs is sitting somewhere but not identified by Vista for some reason?

Screenshots -

http://i39.tinypic.com/2w4xx0g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/qqu41x.jpg

Do you guys have any idea where i could get the 20gigs back?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help. I really do appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

I'm no expert on these matters, but I think that's just the normal shortage that you get from hard drives. For example, my 250 gig external shows as a 232 gig. Although, my 300 gig internal does show almost 300 gig. Hmm. I've been no help at all, I'm sure. Ha.

Here's what mine looks like, anyway.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1527/hddr.jpg

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

Is it possible the 20Gigs is sitting somewhere but not identified by Vista for some reason?

What shows up in Disk Management?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

What shows up in Disk Management?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2w4xx0g.jpg

Two partitions i created.

One @ 50Gigs.
One @ 250 Gigs.

No unallocated memory.

My computer, an HP Dv7 Pavilion 1245dx, comes with 320Gigs.

I've repartitioned this computer once before.

Edited by yaga, 15 May 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#5 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Looking at what's listed, i'm thinking there's a 'Disk 1,' since i only re-partitioned 'Disk 0.'

I'm going to go back into MBR Fix & see if there's something there & report back to you guys.

I appreciate you guys replying to my topic by the way.

#6 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Looking at what's listed, i'm thinking there's a 'Disk 1,' since i only re-partitioned 'Disk 0.'

I'm going to go back into MBR Fix & see if there's something there & report back to you guys.

I appreciate you guys replying to my topic by the way.

Well look what i found. =)

http://i43.tinypic.com/n6ry8m.jpg

Problem is, it's only 14Gigs.

Going to look a bit more into it. =)

#7 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a5bwr9.jpg

Ok, not sure how i could get Disk1 recognized by Vista?

I've high-lighted what Disk1 is made up of, but i'm not exactly sure what it is.

Could this be whatever is left over from Debian? What would use a FAT32 filesystem?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Could this be whatever is left over from Debian? What would use a FAT32 filesystem?

Linux is FAT 32
314 Gig total sounds right
You will never get it to show 320
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Linux is FAT 32
314 Gig total sounds right
You will never get it to show 320

Thanks for the response.

Looking around the net at screenshots of partitions, I've seen 2TB hard drives accounting for all of it's memory.

And to be honest, i'm not comfortable w/even 100MB of memory disappearing w/no indication of what it's being used for. Much less 6 Gigs.

I'll go elsewhere to get help in getting a bit more into this, but i really do appreciate all of your responses!

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Your hard drive is advertised as having a 60GB capacity, but your computer shows only 55.8GB. What gives? The discrepancy is the result of having two methods of measuring memory. Computers are binary, or "base two," mathematical systems, and in a binary world a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (2 to the 10th power). When computers were new, the geekerati referred to this as a "kilo." Noncomputer folks, however, understood kilo to mean thousand, and thought that 1000 bytes should equal a kilobyte. So, two different measurements of hard drive space were born. In 1998, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) weighed in, defining 1 "gigabyte" as 1 billion bytes. Hard disk manufacturers agree, marketing their products using the rounder decimal value instead of the binary system. So, your drive is labeled as decimal ("giga") and your PC reads binary (IEC's term, "gibi"). Either way, you're getting the same bunch of bytes.
popular mechanics.com

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users