Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek sound card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boris the spider

boris the spider

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hi, I have just recovered from a virus attack. All clean now. - Unfortunately, I'm left with no sound from my speakers. I know they work because the realtek software has a mixer/sound effect thingy and I can hear that. However there's no other sound.

I've been through the help menus. - In device manager it says that everything is working, except when you go to the volume tab where it says "no audio device". There's also no volume slider on my systray. This would seem to be where the problem is. Anyone know how to get it back?

Much obliged in advance.

p.s. sorry, I'm actually on Windows XP

Boris

Edited by boris the spider, 15 May 2009 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
I'll move this to XP
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 boris the spider

boris the spider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

Philips MT2400 - I've posted the same query on xp.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Not sure if is so with yours but Realtek on most systems is on board sound, the drivers for the on board sound is on the MB disk. If you have the MB disk check it out! I just Googled Realtek drivers there are quite a few, you will need to know your version. In Realtek right help then click about that should give you the version.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Take a look, http://support.thetechguys.com/Layout.aspx...a-cfc55815e107}

Louis

#6 boris the spider

boris the spider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks both. I previously used the sound card properties to update the driver. It said that my driver was up to date. So I uninstalled it and loaded a new one. No change. - I followed the link suggested above and installed that driver. That made my computer very unhappy as well as having no sound, so I had to system restore to two days ago.

My other issue is that I can't run Windows update. Maybe I'll run that on another topic. - I get a message saying thre's an error number and when I go through the help from Windows, it just doesn't work.

Think it may be near time to re-install from scratch. Is there an idiot's guide to re-installing from scratch?

Cheers, Boris.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#8 boris the spider

boris the spider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Thans again Lois. Much appreciated.

For information of anyone who stumbles across this later, I found the answer in another forum. It's so easy, it makes you cry!

I've cut and pasted from Computerhope.com where Dr Iton says this to the same problem:

"I think that you mentioned that in the sound & audio devices its all gray , so try this it will help you:
Go to Start menu and chose Run, write this command:
services.msc, press enter
In new window on the right panel find Windows Audio and double click on it, when you see the new window under Windows Audio Properties in page General down to the Startup type make shore it is Automatic and in the part Services status click on Start than Apply, OK and the problem is solved.
I suggest you this because sometimes this service is stoped by some virus infections, even if your PC is protected by antivirus software, when you delete the virus it leaves this problem."

Need to fix my windows update now............... I could spend my life trying to keep this computer going. Who's working for who around here??

Boris.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

LOL...feedback appreciated (I would never have thought of the solution), happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users