Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD R, CD R/W only work intermittently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madisonbrh

madisonbrh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'm using a Dell Dimension 2350 with XP and SP3. I'm having frequent problems with my 2 CD drives (CD-R and CD-RW).

When things work, I can see the contents of the CD (data), but when it's not working, it says the CD file system is RAW.

Sometimes, I am requested to insert a CD when one is already inserted.

I have done the troubleshooting guides and run Dell diagnostics and they say things are working normally.

I have uninstalled the drivers and rebooted the system and this sometimes (but not always) corrects the problem, but after one or two uses of the drive, the data CD contents again can't be viewed (RAW system again).

I have run virus scans (McAfee and Malware) and no viruses are found.

I ran the Microsoft fix for upper lower filters but it says that it doesn't apply to my system or application version. I have checked for upper and lower filters on the CD registry, but there are no filters (when things work AND when things don't).

If I insert an audio CD, it doesn't start playing (RAW system again), but I CAN hear the CD when I use Real Player so that program can recognize the CD as audio even if the MY COMPUTER CD drive can't.

It appears that my Quicken CD backups work consistently (using the wizard burning) because I can see the data on the CD -- UNTIL the drive gets flaky again and I can't view the contents of the CD.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.... thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

Try a different drive?

They should not be expected to last forever...

Louis

#3 madisonbrh

madisonbrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

Both of my drives have the same problem.... and before I invest in new drives, I'd like to be more certain that my problem is a bad drive rather than a software glitch....

Before my CD drives went flaky, when I inserted an audio CD into the drive, it would automatically begin to play -- now it doesn't -- but as I said, I can always play it through Real Player. I decided to put a data CD into the drive and try to access it with Real Player. As expected, Real Player said it couldn't play the files on the disk. SHAZAM -- I realized that Real Player could read the disk (and know they weren't audio/video files)! Than, when I clicked on the drive in MY COMPUTER, it showed all the data files on the CD although the file system was still RAW. And I did that several times with different disks with the same result -- I'd insert the disk and the MY COMPUTER display would show no data on the disk -- then I'd access the drive thru Real Player -- then I'd click on the drive in MY COMPUTER and I could see the data files. So, I have a weird workaround to my problem, but it certainly looks like whatever embedded software/driver is being used to read the CD is missing something. I've reinstalled my CD drivers, but that hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas what I might try to get the CD drives to work properly?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

I do not know of anything that would cause two different optical drives...to have a problem of intermittent function.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You should be looking for errors which indicate that a given disk/drive (Disk0, Disk1, etc.) has a problem.

If you are using Real Player as the default program for opening CD/DVD files...I would suspect that Real Player may need uninstalling...although RP should have nothing to do with a file view from My Computer/Explorer.

FWIW: Optical drives use a generic driver supplied by Windows...for functionality. Although I've never heard of an instance of such, I suppose that driver could be damaged.

Louis

#5 madisonbrh

madisonbrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestion -- but Event Viewer didn't show any problems.

I used a Microsoft guide "How to troubleshoot common problems that occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD" and followed their instructions to test the CD drive in a clean boot state -- all WORKED GREAT! -- when I inserted a disk, it correctly showed the file system, contents etc...-- and so they say that "there may be other programs preventing the drive from reading the disk". They suggested I change the CD drive configuration to DMA mode, but the configuration was already in DMA mode. When I did a normal startup, my problems returned.

Doing more searching, I found a site that said that the only way they could see the contents of a CD was to go to Properties on the driver and Populate the Volume..... that worked for me too. I can see the contents of the disk -- but that again is a workaround.... and the file system remains RAW..

I also found a site that said that Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 is a problem with XP (although I'd never had a problem until very recently). That program came with my Dell and that's how my QUICKEN burns backups. So, I uninstalled the program (Add/Remove Programs) because I can backup other ways. Unfortunately, that didn't help either. So, I've reinstalled it from the disk. (I populated the volume and was able to look at the contents and clicked on the install)...

Seems to me that my hardware is ok and there is a program/programs that are preventing the drive from reading the disk.... wish I knew what it was....

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to try them!

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

DVD burners have become so inexpensive I quit spending very much time trying to gety one to work.
It's easier to simply replace it then it is to wonder how long it's going to last until it quits again.

Your Dimension 2350 should have a IDE drive
a DVD burner will read/burn DVD's & CD's
Have a look here,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....archResult=True
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 madisonbrh

madisonbrh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

You're probably right and I'm just being obsessive.... thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users