Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus preventing loading in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MBHatter

MBHatter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

I got a virus that kept popping up saying that I had win32.brontok and needed to block it. The link kept taking me to a website for me to buy some antivirus software, which I didn't do. Instead I ran my current anti-virus, Symantec, which found nothing. I proceeded to download most every program I could find (Adware Alert and three or four others that I uninstalled) and started googling the things they found and deleting them if they were in fact viruses. That all went well, I ended up getting rid of the pop-up as well as some (possible) other viruses that I didn't know I had.

However, my problem is launching in Safe Mode. I currently run XP and am able to get to the selection screen off the start by hitting F8 while the computer is booting. When I select start in Safe Mode (any of the three options - Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt) the computer restarts and brings me back to a selection screen. When launching Windows normally and trying to open the MSCONFIG to start in Safe Mode that way the MSCONFIG opens, pauses for 15 seconds or so, and automatically closes.

Is there something I can do to launch in Safe Mode so I can finish cleaning viruses off my computer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MBHatter

MBHatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Slight update on the problem. From removing some of the viruses I've unlocked the MSCONFIG, so I selected the start in Safe Mode option under the Boot tab. My computer still will not allow itself to start in Safe Mode, so it is stuck in a loop of restarting regardless of what I select. The only exception is when I select Windows Recovery Console, which allows me to access a command prompt.

#3 MBHatter

MBHatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Slight update again. I have a second PC up and running. If I slave the hard drive that won't boot to the one in the second PC, is there a way to edit the MSCONFIG file to remove the Safe Boot switch so I can boot the original computer to Windows? Or is that just a dumb idea?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Using the Recovery Console and the CMD prompt, can't you get to MSCONFIG ?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users