Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 intangible04

intangible04

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

So I've gone through the whole process: partitioning, shrinking, installing, the whole works. I had one issue that I was able to fix. The issue was that I believe the MBR got lost in transition and my laptop would just keep restarting like it had no OS. Not having a Vista install CD I put in the 7 disc I made, and repaired it and got 7 to boot. Well, when it started loading up, there was no option for the OS boot, it just loaded 7 and never gave the option for a Vista boot. When looking in disk management, I noticed that only one partition is marked active, so depending on whichever one I mark as active, that OS loads. I went into startup and recovery settings in advanced system settings and looked at the default operating system and just 7 shows or vice versa when Vista is marked as active. I've been searching for ways to fix this to where I can have the startup option of choosing which OS I want to boot, but can't find a definitive answer. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by intangible04, 15 May 2009 - 12:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

Did you check out this help site from Microsoft? http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...2749fe1033.mspx.

You should be able to follow those steps.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 intangible04

intangible04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

I already have both installed, as I stated in the post. I just don't have the option of selecting which OS I want to boot.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

Have you tried this?

There's an alternative called WinGRUB, but I'm currently researching to see if it's compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Edited by MadDawg, 15 May 2009 - 08:34 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 bddog

bddog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

When installing a dual boot system,you install one os on chosen partition or hard drive. The second os is then installed from the first.Perhaps a system restore and formating of the 7 partition? Look up boot manager in help.From there you should be able to see what I am saying. Steve

Edited by bddog, 19 May 2009 - 05:49 AM.

#6 intangible04

intangible04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Have you tried this?

There's an alternative called WinGRUB, but I'm currently researching to see if it's compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Thank you thank you thank you!!
That link had just what I needed, after a little tweaking with the drive letters, I got it!!

Thank you sooooooo much!

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

No problem. I'm glad I could help. :huh:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 lesso

lesso

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:58 AM

i also had issues with M$oft rewriting my boot loaders simple fix was to reinstall grub boot loader from linux however there are other ways around this for example if you alrdy had vista installed its as simple as

booting from the dvd and going to repair it will automaticly find that vista has been removed from the boot loader and give you the option to repair hence on reboot both windows 7 and windows vista (repaired)
will show up.

there is also a tool to manually rewrite the boot loader i forget the link, however if you search the microsoft website for modify windows boot loader you should be able to find it.

#9 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

For all things bootable try here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

I used to do Linux and I loved how you could make a floppy that would boot Linux from the HD. (No, not a boot floppy, this pulled the Linux install up from the HD.) I asked about it and USB key drives on Boot Land and those guys gave me links showing how to do it. Now if my boot menu doesn't come up and I can put in my USB key, boot from USB and get the same menu. Jumps right to the HD installs and boots your choice.. just like the old Linux floppy gizmo. Very cool!!

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users