Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-R drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevemar

stevemar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can help me?

My desktop PC has 2 media drives. Drive D is for playing audio CD's and video disks. Drive E also plays both but doubles up as a recoding drive. It is this one I need to burn audio discs for example.

The PC is now 6 years old and up to about 18 months ago ran smoothly when I burned music to disc from Media Player. Now however the drive does not seem to recognise any blank discs I insert into the drice. After inserting discs I create a burn list and click on the burn button but only to be greeted by a message which says Please Insert a blank disc in drive E.

When I check on My Computer Drive E, it can be seen that the newly inserted blank disc is unrecognised. Properties claims that the drive is empty.

I've ensured that AutoRun is checked and I've tried a variety of discs in the drive to see if they are recognised including Mr. Data, TDK, Imation, Maxell, Philips, Traxdata, Vivastar, Verbatim, Sony and Mitsumi. These discs all contained audio which I previously burned using the same PC and drive. Of these, the drive recognised 1 disc by Traxdata, 1 by Vivastar, 1 of 2 from Verbatim, 2 from 3 of Sony and 1 from Mitsumi.

I did manage to burn one CD yesterday which was a Maxell disc but several other Maxells failed as did one from Philips.

Given that the drive will play several of the discs then I'm of the view that the drive does play alright sometimes although I'm at a loss to understand why it isn't consistent.

Also I know that the drive will burn discs albeit rarely.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong or any idea of where I might find expert advice? My Operating System is Windows XP SP3 and I generally use Windows Media Player 11.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

You could try a lens cleaning disk.

If it were me instead of spending the $ on a disk I'd just get a new DVD burner.
They have become so inexpensive [about $25,] that drives are now easier to replace then fool with .
A DVD burner will bur/read about anything,

They are easy to replace.
You would need to open the case & determine if it's IDE or SATS.
If it has a wide cable that looks like a ribbon going to the drives it is IDE.

Here are some IDE drives,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users