Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my RAM bottlenecking my gaming performance?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HSW1212

HSW1212

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Hey. Firstly let me say thanks in advance for reading this. I haven't got too much time so I'm just going to be a bit blunt with my query.

Is my RAM bottlenecking my gaming performance? Because when I play things like TF2, I tend to play on all minimum settings as otherwise within about 5 minutes the whole thing starts to graphically lag like crazy. I play CS on maximum settings, but this also begins to graphically lag like crazy after a few minutes.

As you can see I have attatched the report of "PC Wizard 2008" to the post, in both .txt and .pdf formats. Please ask me if you need any other reports or information or anything. Basically I just want to know if i should buy RAM with a higher clock speed, and what my motherboard can take, and where to buy it from. I would REALLY appreciate any help.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Ok, now there are two more .pdf files, these contain much more in depth information.

Attached Files

Edited by HSW1212, 15 May 2009 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

I didn't see any information on your CPU or Video Card. I'm not really familiar with PC Wizard 2008, so maybe I just missed it. Could you include that?

It sounds to me like it might be a RAM issue, but it could be a video card issue, too. Maybe it's not cooling very well, or maybe even the power supply isn't stable enough or providing enough power.

How long has this been going on?

#3 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

Firstly and importantly; thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

Ok, those two .pdf's should give you all you need. These are in the first post now. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with it either, but I just read on some website that it was a good one to use.My PSU generates 400W and as for those weird things called "rails" im not sure, but if you guys need me to find out I'll try and read the box it came in.

As for the amount of time this has been happening: Perhaps interestingly, I posted on this forum about my graphics card underperforming a good while back, that was only a few days after I got it, as short as one day afterwards. Noone ever seemed to think it could have been the RAM, but I'm prety sure I never explained to them the type of RAM I had. This is why I'm trying to give all you guys all of my system information so you can get the big picture.

My main concern is that my motherboard won't support RAM of a decent clockspeed?

Please, anyone, say what you think it could be. Cheers.

Edited by HSW1212, 15 May 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#4 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hmm, I think I'm at a loss! So many things could potentially cause it. Are all of your video drivers up to date?

#5 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

Yeah. I have the latest video driver from the nvidia website.

#6 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

*bump*

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Your system exceeds the minimum requirements for TF2.

Instead of a hardware issue I would be looking more at a software problem.

Do you have a security suite or program that scans pages for malware/viruses ?

What do you have installed for a anti-virus program & internet security ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

It would make more sense if it were a software problem. Have you run the task manager and left it running in the background while you play? When it starts to lag you can jump out and see the graphs and what's running. Might be a good way to troubleshoot things.

#9 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

No I have never tried that, might give it a shot next time if I remember too, should do.

As for the antivirus software, I have a program called Antivir. You can get it from: http://www.free-av.com/

It's what I have used for a long time. You guys need any more info? Sure its not the RAM clockspeed/my motherboard?

#10 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

If it were the RAM, it would be more consistent, unless it's an overheating problem (or something running in the background). But then it's not a clockspeed problem. Try just disabling the AV program while you play. But the task manager graphs might give you a better idea. And someone else might know of a better program to track memory and CPU usage.

#11 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ok I tried disabling the program. No noticeable difference. One thing I can say though its my graphics card runs TF2 at literally anywhere between 15 and 80 FPS. I would just like to know why it can be so slow. Also, just to say, I don't THINK it's to do with anything overheating.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Edited by HSW1212, 20 May 2009 - 11:45 AM.

#12 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

You're not playing online, are you?

Have you seen the graphs in the Windows Task Manager? Look under the performance tab. Try that - it will help us know more what is going on. Once your FPS goes down to around 15, does it ever go back up?

#13 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

Yeah I am playing online, but I don't think it's internet connection lag. Of course it could be to do with excessive in game activity. AS for the performance tab, any PC game I play, a majority of the activity is coming from the game application itself, and this is by a large amount too. And yeah, the FPS does rise again.

Edited by HSW1212, 21 May 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#14 HSW1212

HSW1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Ok, not to sound too desperate but. Anyone have any ideas? I'd simply like to know if my RAM is holding me back. Vista performance rates it at 4.3, and everything else is over 5.0. I'd happily spend the money to buy better RAM but I just need to know if my motherboard would support it.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CSR-X644G5

Could my motherboard support that specific RAM? I will probably only buy one of those modules actually.

Edited by HSW1212, 21 May 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#15 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

Yeah - that RAM should work. I hope that's what's holding you back, but something doesn't feel right about it. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users