I know just enough about my computer (a Dell Inspiron 710m running Windows XP) to get in trouble, but I'm pretty sure I have a serious issue going on.
The first issue I noticed about two weeks ago was that when I clicked on search results in Firefox or IE, about one in seven times I would get redirected to some sort of advertising/spam page. When I backed up and clicked the link again, it would go to the original page.
Then two days ago, my TrendMicro PC-Cillian 12 announced it had not updated in a week, and I could not manually get it to update. I called the folks at TM about it, and they told me they no longer supported my program and I would have to upgrade to Internet Security 16.7. I could not use the easy install, so I had to manually remove PC-Cillian 12 and install the new program.
It was at this point that I realized I could not access my registry. When I type in regedit in the start menu, the screen goes blank except for my background then slowly reloads the start menu bar, programs and icons minus any windows (i.e., Control Panel, My Documents, et al.) that were open at the time. I also tried to access regedt32 with the same results.
When I got Internet Security 16 working, I realized it would not update or scan. If I click on one button, it grays out like it's working but never takes the next step. When I try to click the other, it asks me to wait until the first is done before either updating or scanning, whichever is not running at the time. It will sit like that indefinitely until I restart my computer. I called TM about this, and they are convinced I have something else on my computer (Ad-Aware, SpyBot), but I took all those off during the installation process.
Also, since installing, I am unable to access certain pages in Firefox (but not IE). I cannot access, for instance, Yahoo or YouTube but I can access Google and Google search. I can't back up into the page or reach it by typing the address in the bar. If I try to, I can see the progress at the bottom, but then it says done and leaves me with the page I was previously on with that page's address in the address bar. I was unable to work in Gmail on it's normal settings, but when I went to html only, I could read and send mail again.
I downloaded and ran SUPERAntiSpyware, professional trial version, and discovered/quarantined/killed a few ad-bots but nothing serious. I also ran SpyBot and ad-aware when the redirection problems first happened and had no success
I am fairly certain this is all related to the same issue. I do have a HijackThis file and a System Log, so if this would be more appropriate for that forum, I can transfer the information over there.
Edited by kritter47, 15 May 2009 - 02:54 AM.