Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo mail sent a phishing email to all my contacts and then wiped out ALL my contacts!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gpapadop007

gpapadop007

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

I started receiving emails from a few friends this morning asking me if I indeed send out an email titled "Secure shopping" from my yahoo mail address recommending them to shop at a website (www).ushopcn.com I first thought it went to a few email addresses (mostly obsolete since I deliberately do not use my yahoo email much). But later in the day I received the copy of this email and I could clearly see that it did go out to a lot more email addresses than I thought and I now suspect to all of them in my yahoo address book. I sent out a short email to most who have received it apologizing profusely! (not from yahoo mail of course!). I then noticed that my address book in yahoo mail is wiped out. Strangely, the email showed up just a few times in my Sent Folder (and only showing that it went to ONE email at a time...when, from my friends' forwarded emails back to me. it was obvious that it did go to MANY at the same time!).

I have run Spybot S&D and mbam...I am clean they tell me. I have deleted most of the emails in my Yahoo Mail folders. I have not attempted to send out a new email from Yahoo Mail. Everything else appears to be functioning properly, including my Outlook mail and GMail accounts where I do most of my email stuff.

I am now paranoid...What else can I do? I would appreciate any help from the experts here, thanks!

Here is the text of the stupid email that was sent:

Hello!How are you recently?
I would like to introduce a good company who trades mainly in electornic products.Now the company is under sales promotion,all the products are sold nearly at its cost.They provide the best service to customers,they provide you with original products of good quality,and what is more,the price is a surprising happiness to you!It is realy a good chance for shopping.just grasp the opportunity,Now or never!The web address:(www.) ushopcn.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 choccyface

choccyface

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

my hotmail address had the same problem. recently i went to set it up to send auto replies as i was going away, and found the same email message copied in there ready to send again.

i was advised to change my password for my email to something which was capitals&lower key + numbers. Scan using malware and avira. didnt find anything, and had no problems since.

i'm by no means an expert - this is the advice i was given by someone who knew what they were talking about!

#3 nster

nster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

Did either of you ever find what was causing this mass email. This happened to my yahoo account today and cleared out my contacts as well. The exact same email as was mentioned above. I'd like to prevent this from happening again.

#4 gpapadop007

gpapadop007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Did either of you ever find what was causing this mass email. This happened to my yahoo account today and cleared out my contacts as well. The exact same email as was mentioned above. I'd like to prevent this from happening again.

No I did not find out what caused it. It appears that it has not happened since. I did not use this account much and I am now using it even less and shifting more and more towards my gmail account. I have been a big fan of Yahoo over the years but it is clear the company is becoming a sinking ship. If anyone finds out what caused this please post here!

Thank you.

George

#5 gpapadop007

gpapadop007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

No I did not find out what caused it. It appears that it has not happened since. I did not use this account much and I am now using it even less and shifting more and more towards my gmail account. I have been a big fan of Yahoo over the years but it is clear the company is becoming a sinking ship. If anyone finds out what caused this please post here!

Thank you.

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users