Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memeory upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

First of all - here is my system info.

E-machines T1440
1.40 ghz processor
128mb sdram
os - windows xp - sp2
motherboardLM810E

My problem is that i added a new pc133 - 256mb stick ( second one ) and my computer does not recognize it - it only recognizes the original 128 stick.

I checked the motherboard manual and it supports up to 512. i checked out the support site listed on the stick package - kbytesmemory.com and under problem solving they mentioned two things. first - make sure the higher memory stick is in the first slot. i don't know what constitutes the first slot, so i flip-flopped the sticks and it made no difference.

secondly they said - some older systems may be required to change jumper settings. i don't know what they mean here.

so.... i would like to use both of my 256 sticks if possible ( my wife plays alot of games. also all the basic windows functions run very slowly.

Just out of curiousity i ran Pcpitstop and it said everything was fine, but i need more than 128. i know that this is probably an outdated computer, but i need to know why it won't accept the memory upgrade. thanks - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

Firstly, remove all the ram and put the 256 stick in by itself and see if it works. Normally slot one is to the left.

If it doesn't then your board won't support a single 256meg stick. Although the manual says it supports up to 521meg, not all boards, especially older ones, support 256 meg sticks, only 128meg sticks.
JTH

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

Thanks, i will give that a try tomorrow morning. i will post back with the results - Keith

#4 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:01 PM

some older bored you have to use the same momory in both slots

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

What is the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard?

Is the ram you're trying to install exactly the same type except for the capacity?

Download Everest Home Edition, navigate to the ram section and tell us what it says.
(You can also get the specs on your motherboard and processor from Everest)

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 June 2005 - 09:20 PM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:24 PM

The e-machines support FAQ is hopeless, all I could glean is your motherboard should be able to support 256MB DIMMs. Max 512MB. (I guess it only has 2 slots then?)

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

Enthusiast - not sure of the make - does Micro ATX make any sense? the manual just says LM810E Motherboard. The new ram sticks are exactly the same - recommended by E-Machines awhile back. Als i checked out the link and it said more memory would improve the system. actually i'm not sure what info you needed. also it said i have 125 of memory. i can go back in and get other info if needed.

Jackthehaack and Golden08 - i took both sticks out and installed one 256 in the first slot - it just kept beeping at me and wouldn't start up. then i tried using both 256 - same results. so i put the original 128 back in the first slot and i'm back on.

Rimmer - Yes, there are just two slots. i haven't had much luck with E-Machunes support myself, so i'm not gonna call them and burn $20. could it be that this system just won't accept memory upgrades? also - ( don't know if you need this ) - under the memory specs in the motherboard manual it says-

- Supports up to 512 MB memory of 100/133 MHz Non-ECC
- Unbuffered Synchonous DRAM (SDRAM)

Thanks - hope you can figure something out for me - Keith

#8 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Keith1,

That beeping you heard is a Motherboard Error Beep Code. It tells a story and guess what - your M/B doesn't support 256meg sticks of ram. :thumbsup:

How many slots do you have ?
JTH

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Have you got a motherboard manual? It could shed some light on the jumper possibility. Though I've never seen a (modern) motherboard where you have to change jumpers to upgrade the RAM.

The 256MB sticks you bought are non-ECC SDRAM arn't they?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Keith1,

I stand corrected.

Your m/b does support 256meg sticks but there is a bit of tweaking required in the BIOS before it will recognise them.

Here's what I found @ "Lomita End User Upgrades"....

Memory Upgrade

I just had to upgrade the stock 128MB PC-133 DIMM in an eMachine Model T1440. It was tricky, but I worked out the process... hopefully others will benefit from my frustrated hair-pulling.

1) Before installing additional or new memory you will have to first go into BIOS and disable "QuickBoot".

2) Save your BIOS settings and power down.

3) Install the memory.

4) Power up and verify BIOS recognizes memory size.

5) Verify Windows XP recognizes memory amount.

6) Log off and power down.

7) Power up and enter BIOS.

8) Enable "QuickBoot".

9) Save BIOS settings and allow PC to boot to Windows XP.

Specifications:
eMachine T1440
Motherboard: TriGem Lomita
MotherBoard Chipset: Intel 810e Chipset
Intel Celeron 1.4GHz Level 2 Cache 256 MB
128MB SDRAM PC-133 (Mgr. stock brands are Crucial and Samsung)
40GB Hard Drive
24x CD-RW drive
56K Modem
Windows® XP

The memory specs are:

PC133 SDRAM DIMM is used by this model
Maximum memory: 512MB (2 banks of 256MB)
Standard memory: 128MB removable
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Give this a try.

Good luck.

P.S.

I think Rimmer's on the right track too. It will probably have to be ECC SDRam you need for it to run.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 26 June 2005 - 07:03 PM.

JTH

#11 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

Rimmer - i haven't got a clue if the 256 sticks are non-ecc (nothing noted on the package. basicly, i'm somewhere between novice and intermediate - so i'm kind of getting lost here. in reference to Jackthehaack post - i'm kind of leery of doing the bios change thing. but if it will fix the problem i will give it a shot. - Keith

Jackthehaack- i have two slots. the bios info you posted looks kind of intimidating to me with my skill level, but if it will work i will carefully follow directions. Keith

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

Good post JackTheHack!

Keith - I was just clutching at straws with the non-ECC thing, basically you can buy two sorts of SDRAM memory sticks - ones with in built error correction (ECC) and ones without. Standard, everyday RAM is without (non-ECC) and many motherboards do not support ECC RAM - when you plug it in the motherboard just beeps. If you can decode the beeps it says "Incompatible RAM". I thought maybe you had the wrong sort.

However the BIOS change looks like good info, well worth doing. You wont cause any problems changing the Quickboot parameter around.
BTW guess what quickboot does? - it turns off RAM detection and self test so it makes sense that its related to the inability to detect the larger RAM size.

Let us know how you go. :thumbsup:

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

I am going to try the Jackthe haack post ref: changing BIOS settings. how do i first get into bios? the directions for change are quite clear, but i have never been in bios and need a quick roadmap. thanks - Keith

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

As your computer begins to power up instructions to press a key to enter the bios appear at the bottom of the screen.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

It should say at the bottom of your screen just as the PC boots -
"Hit Del to enter BIOS" is the usual message but it could be F10 or F2 or Ctrl/Alt/Esc, your motherboard manual will tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users