Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet freezes only for a few seconds...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Smile

Iron Smile

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

This is really annoying, and i have done virus scans and called the internet provider about this, so i know thats not the problem...

but every few minutes, when im on the internet, it just freezes for about 5 seconds, then goes right on doing whatever it was doing. and when im watching videos when this happens, i can still hear the sound for a few seconds after it freezes, then it all freezes, then goes right back into the video.

Does anyone know what to do about this? i know it has happened before, but i dont know how i fixed it.

and if you need to know, i have a Dell windows XP home version.

Please help anyone.....

EDIT i forgot to say that when im not on the internet doing something, it is perfectly fine :thumbsup:

Edited by Iron Smile, 14 May 2009 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iron Smile

Iron Smile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

does anyone know what to do? it is still happening

#3 Great20

Great20

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

I'm wondering Iron, if you figured out how to fix this problem yet. I'm in the exact same situation, from the symptoms down to the fact that I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron E1705 with Windows XP Media Center edition. Anyone have a solution, if Iron isn't here?

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

A couple of thoughts.

Have you scanned for Malware.?
Do you have adequate RAM? and is your paging file set at 1 times this?
Have Task Manager sitting quietly somewhere and see if your CPU use maxes out when the freeze occurs.

#5 Great20

Great20

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Have scanned for malware using Kapersky AV 7. Nothing found. Scanned with Ad-Aware also, nothing found.
I should have adequate RAM. How do I check if my paging file is set to 1.5 times that?

Doing the task manager thing now, let me see. If it does max out, what does that mean?

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

re Paging File
Hold down the WINLOGO key (between CTRL and ALT) and press the PAUSE/BREAK key (upper right on keyboard)
SYSTEM PROPERTIES window will come up and you will see your physical RAM in the lower right corner.
Click on ADVANCED then on Performance SETTINGS.
In the Performance Options window, click on ADVANCED again and at the bottom is Virtual Memory - click CHANGE.
Highlight your C: drive then click the Custom Size button. Enter a figure which is about 1 times your physical memory in both boxes. (eg. if you have 512MB of RAM, enter 750MB. If you have 1GB, enter 1500MB). The actual figure is not critical - as long as it is somewhere near it.
Press SET and OK your way out.

Task Manager
If you keep an eye on the total CPU usage at the bottom and it sticks at 100% for a few seconds, it means your machine is running flat out and does not have any reserve to do anything else - one possible reason for your freeze up. Close any unnecessary programs.

Cheers

#7 Great20

Great20

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Changed Page Filing, nothing happened.

Monitoring the CPU usage, it does go up immediately following, or during a freeze of Firefox, but it doesn't go above 40%.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Perhaps someone else may have some more ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users