Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP1 or SP2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

I have a quick question. I know that Windows XP SP2 has been out for awhile but I haven't taken the time to upgrade to SP2 yet because I like the way my system is running now and I don't want SP2 to mess it up. I just wanted to know if I should stick with SP1 or upgrade to SP2. I know that SP2 has a pop up blocker and a firewall but I already have both of those with SP1 so if those are the only things that are added on then why upgrade. Does SP2 come with alot of fixes and patches that will help my system be more secure than it already is? Just thought I should ask.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:00 PM

I do not know anything about XP or SP2. As I do not have XP yet. But maybe this info. will help. :thumbsup: Some of the others will need to answer any future questions that you may have.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Windows XP Service Pack 2
About once a year, Microsoft releases an update to Windows XP. These updates contain all the fixes and enhancements which have been made available in the previous year. The updates (called Service Packs) provide convenient, all-in-one access to the most up-to-date drivers, tools, security updates, patches, and customer-requested product changes.

The latest Service Pack for Windows XP—Service Pack 2 (SP2)—is all about security, and it’s one of the most important service packs ever released. It provides better protection against viruses, hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center.

Posted Image

#3 coolchris706

coolchris706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Well I suppose if it is one of the most important service packs ever released I better go ahead and update my system. Just to be safe I'm backing up my system to a seperate hard drive. Thanks for the help.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:23 PM

hi with sp2 added you will find xp runs alot better and faster and more stable also cocider down loading microsofts antispy that is good also :thumbsup: :flowers:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 Danomanuk

Danomanuk

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

But some games can mess up to start with, These games may require updating by the website (Game Makers should have a website that will do patches)

#6 coolchris706

coolchris706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

Alright I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your replies.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:15 PM

Here's a Microsoft webpage that will help you to find out if you're likely to experience difficulties during or after installing SP 2. Most difficulties result from non-compliant third party code which has been addressed and corrected by most peripheral manufacturers.
Download the most current drivers and back them up before installing SP 2.

From Microsoft –
before you install SP2

Steps to take before installing Windows XP SP2
By Philipp Harper
One of the main reasons to use a PC today is to connect to the Internet. But that's also a key reason why PC users should install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), a free upgrade that can significantly boost your system's security.

This also page contains links to the following and will be of great assistance to you:

• Information on using programs and hardware with Windows XP SP2
• What to do after installing Windows XP SP2
• Webcast: How to prepare for installing Windows XP SP2
• 4 reasons you need Windows XP SP2
• Are you still not backing up your data?
• 5 tips for spurning spyware and browser hijackers
• Video: 7 steps to better PC security
• Get more from Windows XP

Does your PC have the system requirements?

Steps to take before installing
Major hardware manufacturers supporting SP2
Spyware can derail the upgrade
How to get rid of spyware

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/res...ows_xp_sp2.mspx

#8 Rarehunter

Rarehunter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

The Windows Xp SP2 fixes a lot of errors from the previous SP1, and makes your system faster, more stable and reliable. About what you said of compatibility of games, well I think that is better to have a faster and better PC, than have lots of games, keep that in mind.
Rarehunter

#9 coolchris706

coolchris706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

Y'all were right yet again. The update to SP2 has sped up my computer even more and I suppose it has also made it more secure with the addition of another firewall and pop-up blocker. Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

#10 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

If you are already using a firewall, disable the Windows firewall. It is inbound traffic only and can cause conflicts if you are using another firewall.
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#11 coolchris706

coolchris706
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

Ok will do. Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users