Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with soulseek...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lo Fat

Lo Fat

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have a problem while running soulseek. Every time I run it, in around 20 minutes my computer will just randomly restart. I am running Windows ME. This hasn't happened to me until I updated soulseek. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but to no avail...

Any help would be appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

Can you please tell us how old your computer is and its specs? (processor, how much ram, harddrive.)

I think Soulseek is causing an incompatability problem, that or file corruption and your computer shuts down to prevent permanent damage. Do you get any errors?

This also could be a problem with overheating if your computer doesnt have proper ventilation or fans.

Ive been browsing around soulseek reviews and user quotes...it doesnt seem to be a very good program. I use and reccomend limewire, its truly the best p2p file sharing application. No spyware or anything.

limewire.com

Also, try this. Great way to make your computer faster and get rid of some uneccesary problems.

Here, remove yourself of many files you dont need, temp, prefetch, things like that. If your trying to clean up the computer this will give it a great speed boost.

Empty Temporary windows files:
Open my computer, and click the address bar so that you can type in it. Type %temp% This will bring up the temporary files for the user you are currently on. Delete them all, if you cannot delete some its ok because some programs leave files in temp while they are running.

Prefetch:
Windows stores files in this directory so that when you click an icon or start up a program, it doesnt need to search your hraddrive for it. It just opens it up, this can be useful. But also very space and time consuming if theres files that havent been used in a while. So open explore, and paste this is the address bar C:\windows\prefetch Delete any files there for programs you havent used in a week.

Internet explorer 5 temp files:
If your using IE5 or even if you havent used it ina while, chances are there are still files there that arent needed. Paste this in the explorer address bar C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Internet Explorer Cookies:
Cookies if you use internet explorer, are good to be cleaned out new and started over every once in a while. Paste this in the explorer address bar C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies
And delete anything there.

#3 Lo Fat

Lo Fat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:54 AM

limewire is nice for misc tracks, but i never found it useful for downloading full albums...also there is a shortage of underground which is why I like soulseek, but that's beside the point...

Here are the specs for my computer. I've had it for around 4 years. I get no errors...it just goes straight to the ME screen. Thanks for the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users