Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reviews of Sophos Anti-virus solution?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

So, my company is looking to switch form Mcafee anti-virus solutions to something else (Mcafee just isn't cutting it anymore, it's like a screendoor in a hurricane to viruses) and Sophos is one they're considering. Anyone heard anything good/bad about it? I'm mostly concerned with how well it works at guarding against/removing threats. Anyone run a virus server at home for testing or something that can give me an idea about how well this works at removal/prevention?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ijcrz

ijcrz

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

I have Sophos Anitvirus at home. I get it from the University where my wife works. They control the settings and most of the adminstrative options upon install so I have a limited scope of the program. For the most part you hardly notice its there. It is set to automatically update at startup and allows for scheduled scans. All the reviews I have read are positive, in fact I have not seen any negative ones. Its picked up and stopped quite a bit of things in my computer, so I am satisfied with it. A good source would be the Technology department at VCU. I'm sure they will have plenty to say. :thumbsup:

#3 case.bolt

case.bolt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

hahahaha, so funny you should mention that... I work for The Ohio State University... and all the things you describe sound like pluses in my book. ease of use and centralized management were two of the biggest concerns for the business side of OIT here, so that all sounds great. college kids do not need or want to worry about anti-virus and to much control would most likely just cause them more problems. I know our security team is doing some actual testing with it, so we'll see how well it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users