Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run anything from desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 icttech

icttech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi all – I’m new to this forum, but I’ve read its excellent advice & articles often, so I’m confident my woes can be solved…

Intro: I’m running XP Pro SP3 / Office 97 on an ageing pc (AMD 1400 MHz). While tidying up my system prior to the final backup/image and move to a newer box, I may have inadvertently amended, deleted or switched off some vital component or registry entry on this venerable machine.

To my abject shame, I must pre-empt the usual admirable and sensible advice, and state there is no temporally useful registry copy available (it was very late when I screwed up, and I don’t recall all that I did… :thumbsup: ). It may come back to me when questions are asked.
Note to self: Advanced tweaking is not a good idea when half-asleep…

Problem: As Administrator, in NORMAL running mode (not SAFE mode), when I try to open files, run executables or use shortcuts from the Desktop or Start tab, I get the msg:

“Windows cannot access the specified drive, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item”

However, near normal service is resumed when running in SAFE mode, and when in NORMAL mode, I discovered that if I go via Task Manager (File/New Task/Browse to Desktop or whatever) I can run apps. etc, .

This is isn't too bad, as the pc is then useable, in a limited manner.
However this method produces a Word 97 msg on opening a document:

“A document with the name X is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folder. To open the second document, either close the document that’s currently open, or rename one of the documents”.

I get a similar msg from Excel 97.

Having researched the few relevant occurrences of this msg, I have stopped the msiexec.exe service, reinstalled the latest Windows Installer 4.3 service, and restarted it (set to Manual). This has had no noticeable effect. I’ve also run AVG, AdAware, SpyBot And MalwareBytes with no significant results.

NB. All software was up-to-date & legit prior to the above. However, I really don’t want to use the makers restore disk, as so much has been altered since I bought it.

It feels like it could be something fairly simple to fix if everything can run or open when launched in a roundabout way.
Any ideas welcome, please, as it is surprisingly difficult and awkward to navigate around your Windows pc without using the Desktop!
And I want to avoid repeating this mistake on the next pc…

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Turn the unit off
turn it back on
As soon as the logo or post screen goes away start tapping the F8 key
You should get the screen offering startup options.
Use the arrow key[s] to hilite Last known good configuration
Press Enter

If that doesn't work use System Restore [Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore] to go back to before the problem.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users