Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed up computer using antivirus programs.MOVED

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jozrael

Jozrael

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

Ok, so my grandparents computer was running very slowly, so I figured I'd run every program I could think of to fix it. I did:

Disk Cleanup (every option), Disk Defragmenter.

Then I ran a variety of programs I'd heard of, including:

MalWareBytes
CCleaner
HiJackThis
and...
ComboFix.
Also some programs from GMER relating to rootkits, but I'm not sure that I had one of those in the first place.

Each identified a number of viruses and or other problems with the computer and fixed them.

Afterwards, however, there were a number of problems. First off, the CD drive was no longer recognized. (The driver was corrupted). After a deal of searching I found a Microsoft "Let Us Fix It" which made the drive appear again. However, now we have other problems.

Although the drive is visible, CDs put into it aren't working properly. We can open the CD via My Computer (and all the files are there), but none of the programs are working. Also, once we have opened the CD and tried to run something, the computer almost freezes up. I can't open task manager (altho the system resources icon appears in the system tray), etc.

As a separate issue, I can no longer right click on any of the programs in my start menu (under all programs). The list merely flashes, and no menu appears from the right click.

I'm running XP SP3 on a rather old computer. If there's any additional information you would like or logs you'd like me to post, let me know. I'm not going to be running any other antiviral programs without being asked to here :thumbsup:. Thank you muchly for your help.

Edited by garmanma, 14 May 2009 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

What exactly did you "fix" with HiJackThis?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Jozrael

Jozrael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

I actually didn't 'fix' anything, just ran the program. xD

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Some things you can try to fix the CD problem:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).
For the right-click problem, try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Right Click - #349 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

Edited by Budapest, 14 May 2009 - 05:52 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Jozrael

Jozrael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have not installed any software lately.
I used that fix previously, and now the CD rom drive APPEARS (before the computer simply didn't recognize it due to corrupted drivers). However, I cannot actually use any of the CDs. The computer locks up...but not completely. The mouse will still move/menus still open, but that's about it it seems.

Before I used the fix on that microsoft page, I reinstalled the drivers multiple times using that method to no avail.

Thank you for the fix on the right click bug, but it is still occuring.

Also, one additional symptom I just realized: a number of the programs I have in my start menu have lost most of their contents. The windows game folder, firefox, and some others.

EDIT: I just recalled I -did- actually fix some things with the HJT. I ran it online through an automated parser of the logfile and it showed mostly green checkmarks, but a couple red x's that said "You must fix this". So I fixed a handful. I'm not sure which ones they were tbh, sorry :thumbsup:.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

See if this improves things:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Jozrael

Jozrael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the help, but I don't believe that changed anything. I wasn't around at the very end to see if it found any errors, though :\.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

You could try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Jozrael

Jozrael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'm having some difficulty getting this to work since A: I can't use the cd drive, and B: I copied my i386 folder to my root, and edited the registry to point to that, but it didn't recognize it and is still asking me to insert my XP cd.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Did you read this part?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=928738

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users