Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows / explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ny11

ny11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi all

I'll keep the initial problem brief in case anyone can guide me to the solution which may already have been posted on another topic.

I have the dreaded 'black screen' virus where I can no longer access any of my desktop items which,critically, includes my work emails. I've tried to research what's causing this and how to fix it but nothing has fixed it so far.

My taskbar manager is accessible via CTRL, ALT, DEL but when i type the command 'explorer.exe' (which I looked up and saw as a common solution) it's telling me it can't.

From the looks of it I'm going to have to re-boot the entire system again but wondered two things:

A. Has anyone got the solution!

B. If I do have to do a full re-install, am I going to lose all my files, folders etc. or will they be safe on the hard drive?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, would be good to get some advice though.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

Are you able to boot your computer into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ny11

ny11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

I've pressed F8 upon turning the laptop on and it does give me the option to run in Safe Mode, however, again it's just a black screen albeit with Safe Mode written in all 4 corners.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ny11

ny11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Budapest. My system is Vista so will those instructions you gave me be exactly the same still?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

It's different for Vista. You could try the repair option explained here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...0351033.mspx#E4

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ny11

ny11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:02 AM

Thanks again Buda. I'm on the system recovery options and have either the Administrator, Guest or Neil (my name) as Username options. Thing is, I don't have the password as it's been over 18 months since I purchased the machine. I have tried my usual variants of passwords but it's coming up with 'Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator'.

Is there a way of getting a password reminder??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users