Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows boot problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Point Zero

Point Zero

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hello all,
I'm working on a computer here that is Windows XP MC SP3. When I go to boot it up I get the desktop image but no icons or task bar. I can however get the task manager. I've tried to shut down the system from task manager and it comes up with explorer.exe not responding. I ran the recovery console from windows disk and tried chkdsk. It tells me no problems but if I want to run anyway use /p. I ran chkdsk /p and after it finished typed exit. Windows came up normally and desktop was fine. Every thing worked fine. Then I shut it down. Now I'm back at desktop with no icons or task bar. Ran chsdsk /p once again it's fine until shutdown and restart. Any ideas??

PZ

Also this machine ejects the CD/DVD drives on boot up. Not sure if this is related or not.

Edited by Point Zero, 14 May 2009 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Have you run any virus scan?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Point Zero

Point Zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

AVG 8.0 installed and updated. Runs daily scans to no avail!!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

Try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

Maybe,

Windows XP Media Center Edition
This issue affects Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002.

If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction.

To avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3.

If this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d...31/relnotes.htm
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Point Zero

Point Zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

Tried this and it had no effect!! It appeared that it ran fine, but it corrected nothing!!

I'm beginning to think evil spirits are possessing this thing!! Still ejects both cd/dvd drives on boot up also. Maybe it's trying to tell me to feed it!! LOL

#7 Point Zero

Point Zero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

Maybe,

Windows XP Media Center Edition
This issue affects Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002.

If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction.

To avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3.

If this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d...31/relnotes.htm

I'm trying this now and after the reinstall of SP2, SP3 I have had two successful shutdowns/restarts. This last time the CD/DVD drives have stopped ejecting!! :thumbsup: This appears to have fixed it.....time will tell!! :flowers:

Thanks for the help!!

PZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users