Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG vs Norton

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Cinoreah

Cinoreah

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

I recently renewed Norton AV and I've been reading here about AVG being a good program. I would really like to try AVG, but am loathe to uninstall Norton since I just renewed in March. Would it be worthwhile to make the change and lose money I just spent? For some reason I feel it slows my puter some.

Also, if I decide to make the switch, do I uninstall Norton before installing AVG? TIA

Don't think I'm supposed to ask two questions in one query, but I'm gonna sneak it in. :thumbsup:

I have a spyware killer/popup blocker program that, until I came here and took some good advice about SpyBot and AdAware, I've found it is NOT doing its job as a SW killer. It takes care of the PUs but not the SW. My question is .... can someone recommend a good popup blocker? I tried a couple and later found they were spyware.

Thanks.....

Cin
~ The Road To A Friend's House Is Never Long ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:47 PM

OK, since you sneaked the second problem in the same post, I guess I will have to take a stab at answering both, if you promise never to do it again, LOL.

Q1. As long as you are satisified with NortonAV, keep it and get your money's worth. Both are very good applications, with Norton having a slight edge (as well it should for the price you pay to use it) in AV ratings. If you were to make the switch, you should first install and update AVG. You can then make the switch off-line.

Q2. The very best popup blocker I have ever found was using Mozilla (and now FireFox) as my default browser. Either of these is inherently safer to use than IE, blocks almost all popups without needing additional applications that just gunk up your computer, and for me, either has proved much much faster then IE when browsing.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:10 PM

:thumbsup: Ok I promise, and thank you even though I do have two more questions. :flowers:

Now for the dumb question:

If I install FireFox, what do I do with IE? What does it do, if anything, to any programs etc if I switch? What about my email program? Will I still be able to use Outlook Express? I have considered switching to FF in the past, but so many questions. I'm not comfortable with change so I'm always cautious when making changes on my 'puter.

Thanks...

Cin

#4 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

Second question:

While browsing around and have a window open, often times when I open another, the second knocks the first off. Any suggestions for why this happens and how it can be prevented? Aggravating....

Thanks....

Cin

#5 Danomanuk

Danomanuk

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

:thumbsup: Ok I promise, and thank you even though I do have two more questions. :flowers:

Now for the dumb question:

If I install FireFox, what do I do with IE? What does it do, if anything, to any programs etc if I switch? What about my email program? Will I still be able to use Outlook Express? I have considered switching to FF in the past, but so many questions. I'm not comfortable with change so I'm always cautious when making changes on my 'puter.

Thanks...

Cin

If you set FireFox as your defult Browser then IE will not really do anything unless you want it open. You can remove from the Start Menu and Desktop if you will not need it. Jsut dont remove it from the system :trumpet:

What do you mean by it knocks one off?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

I can only address your first question in the second set, so hopefully another member will be able to address the second. That is why it is best to use one thread for each problem, since the second part may get lost.

First, you cannot uninstall IE, since it is part of the Windows operating system. That makes the decision easy. There are some sites, moreover, that force you to use IE (MS update, for example) because they are not compliant with published web standards.
Second, you can have as many browsers on your computer as you want, use the both at the same time (I sometimes have IE, FF, and Mozilla all open at once). Making FF your default browser certainly will not preclude your using OE or any other application of your choice. To make things really interesting, Mozilla has both an Email client and a browser, and FF has a separate Email app called Thunderbird. All these applications can stand alone and do not interfere with using an alternative.
Third, since FF is the browser of choice for many BC members, you have support for problems or questions.

Hope this helps,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 June 2005 - 01:27 PM.

#7 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:45 PM

Great!! Thanks a lot jg. :thumbsup:

Sometimes I feel silly asking questions that seem so obvious to others. I'm not completely computer illiterate (just mostly), but there is so much I don't know and have learned what I do know by trial and error.

This site is the best darn thing in the world!! And you people are surely appreciated! :flowers:

#8 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:53 PM

For instance, I spend some time on the CourtTV message boards and if I open say FOX News, CTV gets knocked off. If I have another site open and open CTV it always knocks the other site off. Am I making any sense?

When I'm on CTV and open a website where I might want to post a link from on to CTV, I have to do it via MS Word and then copy and paste.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Computing is getting more and more complex each year, as are most human processes. It is next to impossible to be a real expert in every area, and, I would suggest, it should not be necessary for people who want to use their computer to accomplish some tasks and projects and have little or no interest in the means as long as they can accomplish thier ends.
The members here at BC are really great to volunteer their time helping each other and to share areas of experience and expertise with one another.
Regards,
John

#10 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

I agree and a BIG high 5 to all of you!! :thumbsup:

Cin

#11 Danomanuk

Danomanuk

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:34 PM

For instance, I spend some time on the CourtTV message boards and if I open say FOX News, CTV gets knocked off. If I have another site open and open CTV it always knocks the other site off. Am I making any sense?

When I'm on CTV and open a website where I might want to post a link from on to CTV, I have to do it via MS Word and then copy and paste.

Is that in FireFox or IE?

if FireFox, Goto The Options and Tell choose Where it says "Open new links as tabs". You may need to update if you havn't.

As for IE, I think there is an option, not sure i cant find it...

Edited by Danomanuk, 25 June 2005 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

IE

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

if I open say FOX News, CTV gets knocked off

The question is how do you open the second site?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Not sure I understand the question, but I click on my desktop icon and open from there.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

I need to know the process, what you click on, etc. with some detail, to have any chance of resolving this problem.

So you have IE open and you navigated to the CTV website. Now how do you get to FOX news - click on a favourite? click a link on the CTV site? Click File>New Window> type in the url for FOX?

- you have a desktop icon. So you minimised the IE window to get back to the desktop?
What is the icon called? Where did it come from? What is it supposed to do?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users