Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nighttrain20

nighttrain20

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hello,

I've been working on this for a couple of days now.

After I turn on the computer, the Windows splash screen comes up and goes away, and the screen goes blank....and stays blank. I can startup in safe mode though. I am not able to restore to any point. Its a Dell dimension 5150 running Windows XP

Other things I've tried.......Malwarebytes...no luck
CCleaner........No luck
McAfee virus scan.no luck

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hello nighttrain,

Sorry to hear about your problems.
Since you can start in Safe Mode and get a desktop, it may be your video driver. In Safe mode, only the standard VGA driver built into Windows loads.

While in Normal mode, and your screen is blank, are you able to pull up Task Manager? If so, do that by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL.

You should be able to launch applications from the File menu and selecting New Task (Run). Now type devmgmt.msc to bring up the Device Manager. Expand the Display or Video adaptors section.

Do you seen any yellow exclamation marks or red X's? Report your findings back here please.

:thumbsup:

#3 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

I am not able to bring up the task manager with Control-alt-delete

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Do you remember what you did just before this problem started?
You say that you cannot restore to any point. Is this because System Restore is turned off or you can't get to that command?

Can you access System Restore from Safe Mode? While in Safe mode:

Goto: Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click the Restore My Computer to an earlier time, next. Select the point before your problems occured and restore it.

Try rebooting in normal mode....do you get your desktop?

#5 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:12 AM

I have tried restore in safe mode and it goes through all the motions but no matter what date I pick it ends up saying that the computer could not restore to that point.

Awaiting instruction.

Tony

#6 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Does anyone think I may have a virus of some sort?

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I have tried restore in safe mode and it goes through all the motions but no matter what date I pick it ends up saying that the computer could not restore to that point.

This is a common problem when trying to use System Restore while the operating system is running. It is often caused by antivirus or security programs preventing access to files that SR needs.

Do you have the XP CD? Also, what version and service pack please...

By version, I mean Home or Professional edition.

Edited by I_am_CanadianEh?, 19 May 2009 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users