Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot linux/XP makes pc slower?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

So i'm considering dualbooting Linux/windows XP. Because my PC isnt brand new i thought it would run faster on Linux than XP. Although i've heard alot of people saying that dual booting makes Linux and XP even slower. It seems logic to me that booting up takes a bit longer, but thats fine with me. I'm just wondering: would installing and using Linux make my PC go faster, or will it simply slow down (as it runs 2 OS's) both Linux and XP?

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi,
Linux may very well be faster than Windows with comparable hardware. The antivirus/antispyware security suite that most people have running on Windows is certainly a system resource drag and is unnecessary with Linux. As for dual booting. Booting up is a little slower but once you get into the OS you should see no slowdowns secondary to that setup.
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

thanks for the reply, so i think ill use Linux for gaming and such, an ill use XP for stuff only compatibe with windows :thumbsup:

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

I dual boot Ubuntu and XP. I LOVE UBUNTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To be honest there is not much you can do on Windows that you can't do with Linux. I have this site bookmarked (thanks Yourhighness :thumbsup: ) for all my freeware equivalent apps for Linux.

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives

Take a look and let me know what you think.
Regards,
t
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

thanks for the reply, so i think ill use Linux for gaming and such, an ill use XP for stuff only compatibe with windows :thumbsup:

Unless your one of the luckey ones where all your games are compatible in running under WINE then I think you might want too switch productivity too Ubuntu and gaming for Windows.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

k ill give it a try, and see if its worth it :thumbsup:

#7 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

Dual booting doesn't make your PC slower, why should it?
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#8 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives

Bookmarked :thumbsup:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

didnt have that one thcbytes. But I use this one http://www.linuxalt.com/. More lists=More Results.

Dual Booting slows system booting really only as long as you set it to. You can edit Grub to take 1 second to boot first Choice (which can also be set) or more (average time is 15 sec.)

Linux tends to run faster because it tends to use less system resources to operate than Windows leaving more resources for the programs to use and without the need for an AV or AS there's an added bit of resources for other programs.

Posted Image

#10 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks BlackSpyder,
Bookmarked!
Regards,
t
Posted Image

#11 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:34 AM

@ carpetsmoker, i just heard it from others, because it would still be running some windows software, i thought that was bullbleep, but i just wanna know for sure :thumbsup:.

@Thcbytes/Blackspyder, thanks for the advice :flowers:

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

The only thing I have read on the Ubuntu support documents about anything running slow when dual booting, is if you already have Windows installed, it is written on the inner most portion (fastest spinning) of the hard drive, whereas the second partition for Linux would be written on the outer part and thus a little slower to access.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 dual booting with XP and the Ubuntu is still way faster booting AND shutting down than Windows!

I'm still kinda new at it, but I like it allot so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users