Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Giving Up On Comodo Firewall. Any Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steveb5

steveb5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Had problems with the last update from Comodo firewall and just downloaded the newest version 3.9 and ended up having to do a system restore as it would not load and when I tried to uninstall it it would not uninstall and said it's running. I think it's time to change firewall. Is there a good one out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Have you tried Zonealarm Free?
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Steve if you give some more details we may be able to help you, such as what version of 3.9 you downloaded and whether you uninstalled the old one before installing the new. It may be better to post on the Comodo forum, as there will be people with more knowledge of your particular problem.

If you really want to change you could look at Online Armor or Outpost, which are also good on outbound protection.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive...nge/results.php
James

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

Had problems with the last update from Comodo firewall and just downloaded the newest version 3.9 and ended up having to do a system restore as it would not load and when I tried to uninstall it it would not uninstall and said it's running. I think it's time to change firewall. Is there a good one out there?

Another vote for Zone Alarm

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

About ten days ago I installed the new Outpost Firewall Free 2009 and it has been working great. No problems setting up or using. Force fed it everything I could in learning mode (rules wizard) for a couple hours then set it to block most.

Dan

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

Outpost free is highly recommended here. Online Armor free is also excellent for a firewall+HIPS, and it also has the excellent RunSafer feature.

If you want a good firewall without a HIPS you could turn off the HIPS features in one of the aforementioned software or get PC Tools Firewall or Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

Personally I prefer Windows Firewall and focus on preventing malware, but this might not be everyone's cup of tea.

#7 Freegman

Freegman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

I wouldn't recommend ZoneAlarm free unless you're looking for very basic protection just a step above the Windows XP firewall (ie. filters outbound connections instead of just inbound). Here are a couple sites that might help you with a decision:

http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/view_results_xp.html
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive...nge/results.php
http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008/03/24...armor/#more-119

It seems that Comodo is the undisputed champ of free firewalls and even better than most ones you pay for, so it's unfortunate that you can't get it working. However Outpost is another popular one that consistently performs well on tests, so it would probably be sufficient. I used outpost for about a week myself but I didn't like the interface and decided to try out Comodo, which is what I stuck with. I also used to use ZoneAlarm free, had it for about a year, but after trying out other products it really does seem bare bones and I'm just glad it was never really put to the test (though it's free so you still can't complain).

Edited by Freegman, 15 May 2009 - 02:18 PM.

#8 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/view_results_xp.html

Just wanted to add that this site is sponsored by Comodo, so I would take their results with a grain of salt.

#9 sundeepp

sundeepp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Install KIS 2009 and forget about your virus/firewall problems.

#10 Freegman

Freegman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

Just wanted to add that this site is sponsored by Comodo, so I would take their results with a grain of salt.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Though keep in mind they can't fake those tests. You can download them and try pretend-destroying your computer yourself.

Edited by Freegman, 16 May 2009 - 08:54 AM.

#11 theeviltwin69

theeviltwin69

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I used to use PCtools Firewall+ and removed it because I thought it was causing problems with my gaming but I found that was not the problem,and after reading all the reviews here and elsewhere I will be going with it again. It was pretty easy to learn and installed so simple,which I can see is a big plus. I also use Threat Fire & Spy DR from them and have never had any problems. My anti virus is AVG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users