Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee won't "fix" or update, AdAware stalls or wont run

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 tiachi17

tiachi17

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

I found this site after McAfee warning I had been infected with Vundo. After trying several sites recommended by Goggle, I discovered Bleeping Computer, and managed to run ComboFix successfully. This thing ran better than it had in forever! Afterward while checking the forums here I learned of the dangers of running it without supervision! Now, a month or two later and knowing more about this site, I find my computer running terribly slow or locking up, being redirected while Goggling, and getting a warning from McAfee that my computer is unprotected. When I click McAfee's fix tool, it trys then quits. leaving my computer without virus protection. If Ad Aware is able to complete a scan, it finds a few data miners, but nothing unfixable or undeleteable. After uninstalling and reinstalling many programs, I am handing this off to those who know far more than I about where to go from here. Several people have use of this computer, a couple have tried to help fix it, but to no avail. So, here I am, with my one source of entertainment and main source of communication stunted, or at times, totally unusable. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? At this stage, my eyes are begining to cross and I foresee massive bald spots coming in the near future for me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

At first I was given a warning message: Update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebytes Anti Malware to access the internet. It took awhile to get McAfee to cooperate, but was eventually able to access the scan. Hopefully this was done right, at this time my computer savvy is being greatly questioned by yours truly. Thank you so much for sparing your time to help out, I so greatly appreciate this!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1945
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/13/2009 9:59:54 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-13 (21-59-54).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 98940
Time elapsed: 50 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 48
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.datacontrol.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.historykillerscheduler (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.historykillerscheduler.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.historyswattercontrolbar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.historyswattercontrolbar.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.htmlmenu (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.htmlmenu.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.htmlmenu.2 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.iecookiesmanager (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.iecookiesmanager.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.killerobjmanager (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.killerobjmanager.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.popswatterbarbutton (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.popswatterbarbutton.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.popswattersettingscontrol (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.popswattersettingscontrol.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.shellviewcontrol (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\funwebproducts.shellviewcontrol.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.htmlpanel (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.htmlpanel.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.outlookaddin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.outlookaddin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.pseudotransparentplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearch.pseudotransparentplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchtoolbar.settingsplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchtoolbar.settingsplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchtoolbar.toolbarplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchtoolbar.toolbarplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\screensavercontrol.screensaverinstaller (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\screensavercontrol.screensaverinstaller.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2763e333-b168-41a0-a112-d35f96f410c0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a4730ebe-43a6-443e-9776-36915d323ad3} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{07b18ea0-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{0d26bc71-a633-4e71-ad31-eadc3a1b6a3a} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{29d67d3c-509a-4544-903f-c8c1b8236554} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3e720450-b472-4954-b7aa-33069eb53906} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{621feacd-8857-43a6-ae26-451d670d5370} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{7473d290-b7bb-4f24-ae82-7e2ce94bb6a9} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{8ca01f0e-987c-49c3-b852-2f1ac4a7094c} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{8e6f1830-9607-4440-8530-13be7c4b1d14} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c8cecde3-1ae1-4c4a-ad82-6d5b00212144} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{e47caee0-deea-464a-9326-3f2801535a4d} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search\ (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

Malwarebytes is up to database version 2128, whereas your scan show version 1945 - so you are somewhat out-of-date.

What happens when you try to update Malwarebytes? You might want to temporarily disable McAfee while you try to update.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

I have totally disabled McAfee as well as windows firewall and still get the same error message when trying to update. Any suggestions where I go from here that don't include a stick of dynomite or a .38?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:06 AM

Download this file and double-click it to update Malwarebytes:

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-rules.exe

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:34 AM

After using the link and following the steps to update, again I received the error message: Update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow....., yet I tagged the Mbam icon and it now reads Database Version 2110. Are we making progress? (as I quietly mutter hope, hope, hope....)

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

Now that you're up to database 2110 try running a full-scan and post the log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:42 AM

It must be getting late, I have to ask, all drives? On the full scan, that is.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

Yes, all drives.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

Due to unrelated, non computer issues, it will be a few more hours before I will have the MBAM log sent. Thank you again for your help!

#12 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

Sorry that took so long.

Database version: 2110

5/15/2009 1:11:04 AM
mbam-log-2009-05-15 (01-11-04).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 229613
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 43 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOESTB.DLL.vir (Adware.MyWeb) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nakonaze.dll.vir (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\mtkevth.vfu (Trojan.Daonol) -> Delete on reboot.

#13 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

After MBAM did its' thing, I tried again to update with success and ran another scan, here is that log:

Database version: 2135

5/15/2009 2:03:20 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-15 (14-03-20).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 235772
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 33 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 tiachi17

tiachi17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:29 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/15/2009 at 11:07 PM

Application Version : 4.26.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 3896
Trace Rules Database Version: 1844

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:00:43

Memory items scanned : 258
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5467
Registry threats detected : 7
File items scanned : 102117
File threats detected : 2

Adware.Duden-Suche
HKU\S-1-5-21-3827169844-4276842331-2860668009-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{92F02779-6D88-4958-8AD3-83C12D86ADC7}

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Sheila\Cookies\sheila@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Sheila\Cookies\sheila@doubleclick[1].txt

Rogue.Component/Trace
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\08A7D79A
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\08A7D79A#08a7d79a
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\08A7D79A#Version
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\08A7D79A#08a77a1a
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\08A7D79A#08a713ff

Trojan.Fake-Alert/Trace
HKU\S-1-5-21-3827169844-4276842331-2860668009-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\fias4013

0 user(s) are reading this topic