Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Netgear Router FVS318v3 with PPPoE connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

I have a Windows XP and a Netgear Router FVS318v3 and I recently reset it to fix some virus thing. However, I'm having trouble configuring it again to get it to work. Currently, I'm connected directly to the DSL modem to get to the internet.
Anyways, it apparently deteced that I have a PPPoE connection and that I need a login/password to access the internet. I'm pretty sure that this is my problem, as I have no clue what my login/password is because I set the modem and router up several years ago. What can I possibly do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/119

Open an Internet Explorer browser and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.

The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password.
The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”

I would change these ASAP...since this is public infomation.

I dont know if this is your model or not, but they are all generally the same. Always change the default password and login when you first set up your router. its just asking for a hacker to break in!

Edited by Derek Ellis, 13 May 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

No, I don't think you understand. I can access my router perfectly fine. It's just that the router can't connect to the internet.
And I'm not sure what the problem is, except that I don't know the login/password for the internet connection itself. As far as I know, there is none, I just go on the internet freely after I configured the modem a few years back.

It says here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/120 the part where it says "Configure your router with the username and password provided by your ISP and click Apply. " I don't know what that is.

Edited by trashcan7, 13 May 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Sounds like you need to contact your ISP.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

What exactly is an ISP?
I contacted the provider of the DSL, and I got the modem username/password. It's still not working.
By the way, what's it mean by "account"?

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

ISP is Internet Service Provider (AT&T, Comcast, etc), both DSL and Broadband Cable.

Well dont have a netgear router, i just found that webpage in a random search.

You could also try to contact Netgear directly.

1-888-NETGEAR
1-888-638-4327

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/984

Edited by Derek Ellis, 14 May 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#7 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:28 AM

Ah, yes, I finally got it working! I have no clue what I did differently. Actually, this time I did turn everything off and then turned on the modem and then the router in that order.
Thanks for your help.

#8 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

I was also going to add, try to find the routers reset button. This will reset the router back to the setting that it came from the factory.

Congrats on getting it to work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users