Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Gaming build

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first build, and I am looking to get some advice. Im going to I am ordering everything off of www.newegg.com. I will list every component below and a few specs. I will also provide links to neweggs website so you may look at the specs there as well.

I am looking to build a computer that will play Mass Effect.

First off, the CPU:

- AMD Athlon 64 x2
- 2.7 GHZ
- L1 cache: 128KB L2 cache: 1GB L3: 2GB
- Duel Core

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103300

MotherBoard:

- DFI AMD board
- 3 PCI-E 2.0 x16 expansion slots
- 3 PCI slots
- DDR2 800 memory
- 8GB memory capacity

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136044

Video Card:

- MSI ATI Radeon HD 4830
- 512 Size
- Directx 10.1
- Memory Type: GDDR3

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127420

Hard Drive:

- Seagate
- 250GB

PSU:

- RaidMax 530W
- 2 PCI-E 6pin connectors

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817152028

RAM:

- OCZ DDR2 800
- 4GB (2 sticks)
- 5 Latency
- 240 pin

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227195

Case:

- XION Gaming 100
- Fans: 2 (one in front and one in back, possible 3rd mount on side window)

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%20gaming%20100

Thank you for taking the time to look through my build.

The only questions I have are:

1.) Is this a good build for a gaming machine?
2.) Will this build play Mass Effect? Link to specs: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...9&forum=125
3.) Is the PSU powerfull enough?
4.) Will the Vcard be able to run mass effect?
5.) Is a Radeon 4830 better or worse than a Radeon XL1800?
6.) Will the CPU GPU combo work for mass effect?

Please add advice. If you do not think this machine will play Mass Effect, COD5, WoW, (possibly Crysis?? eh?? eh??), then please say so, and include what you think I would need to upgrade or change in order to do so.

Side Note: Crysis isnt what Im going for but it would be nice ;] Mainly just Mass Effect.

Thanks to all who take the time to help me out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

the options themselves should play the game fine, however I have a few concerns. First off, and this is from my personal experience, I would avoid the MSI video card at all costs. If you choose ATI, I would go with either a Saphire or a Hitech video card. I have had a lot of issues with MSI equipment. The processor is good, however the Motherboard and the PSU I am not completly certain on. Im not saying their bad, their just brands that I am unfamiliar with so I cannot honestly recomend either. They could be totally fine, but I cant honestly say. I will say a higher rated PSU would be a good idea, at least a 600 watt if it were me. as Far as PSUs, I normally use Coolermaster, OCZ, corsair, or Antec PSUs, and Ive had some luck with Apevias. Motherboards I nearly always use and recomend Gigabyte, ASUS, or Biostar motherboards. This is my opinion on it. The setup you have should run mass effect without any hitches, I have put that CPU in a build for my dad and it runs like a charm, OCZ makes good quality memory, seagate hard drive should be fine, Like I said, Im unfamiliar with the brands of both the motherboard and PSU but that doesnt mean their bad, the only thing that I would really recomend changing is the MSI 4830 to a Saphire (preferably) or a HITECH 4830. :D Oh and I forgot to add, the 4830 is far superior to the 1800, and will run most any modern game, that includes crysis and Mass effect. :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 13 May 2009 - 08:29 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Thank you Patriot for your response.

I looked at the SAPPHIRE cards, and wasnt impressed. They have only have to, and they look good but they do not have duel DVI support. I would like the option of duel monitors in the future...

So Im going with this one. I think I like it a little better than the MSI anyway. Little pricy but If you have had problems with MSI I dont want any part of it, so Im going to take your word for it.

What was your take on the case?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Well, it depends on how you want to run the game. A 4830 won't run Mass Effect comfortably at higher resolutions (1680X1050) with all the eye candy on. From what I can see it will dip into the mid/high 20 fps range. If you get a proper overclock from the CPU it will definitely help. I have no intention of bashing your system choices, but it will be limited as to what it can do with modern games.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

yeah I see that about saphire cards, interesting they dont they usually do. However, this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102822 has integrated HDMI on it so if you have a monitor with HDMI on it, you can still run dual digital monitors on it. :D well, check out HITech, powercolor doesnt seem to do to bad either. Ive just seen a lot of MSI electronics fail on me thats all, and as far as video cards go, I put saphire in all my builds. If I knew your price range, I could probably make a better recomendation. 4830 is not a bad card, but a 4850 will do better, and I would hate to disagree with dpunisher, but I do think that system should handle mass effect at 1680 x 1050 at a comfortable 30 fps at medium to high settings. If my 3870 x2 can run Crysis maxed out at 15-25 fps, I would imagine that any 48xx card should be able to handle larger games like that. and if you look at the recomended settings, the computer you lined out more then meets it. That CPU you picked is the Kuma processor, which is based off the phenom design just with 2 cores instead of 4, has 3 layers of cache, and should handle that game at stock without even breaking a sweat, you have twice as much ram as is recomended, couldnt hurt to have faster ram but Im not sure faster ram would run without a quad anyway, and the video card is probably about 2-3 times that of the recomended settings on that web site. granted, what the manufacturer posts are generic listings, and typically tested at lower resolutions, I imagine you wont have any problems running that game with that setup.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

First off, avoid the Athlon, it is old and will be replaced by the Phenom II X2 (Based on the newer chip design) which will improve performance and efficiency. If you're looking to future-proof yourself get a quad core CPU, or, if you are limited by budget, a triple core CPU. Second, I suggest getting motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, XFX, or ASRock since I've had no experience with DFI. Third, I suggest getting a full ATX case for the added depth and thermal qualities. Finally, I suggest getting a better power supply, about 600W or so. Here are some hardware suggestions.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz <<<Quad core, if you have the cash. If not, the AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz comes in next, followed by the AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz.

Motherboard (All motherboards listed can use all the processors above): The GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H is about $10 more, but is a better board than the DFI. The ASRock A790GXH/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX is also a good cost effective choice.

RAM: Your RAM is too slow for these boards and should be increased to maximize performance. The OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 will fit nicely.

Power Supply: Depending on your budget, the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W or the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W.

Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use all 4GB of RAM. Windows 7 RC 64-bit has been released and you can use that, if you wish, until the OS goes to retail so you don't have to spend money now on Vista and again on 7. Mass Effect isn't a system killing game like Crysis, that GPU will handle it nicely. Mass Effect 2 may be out for the PC sometime next year, I hope they don't go crazy with the DRM.

Edited by DJBPace07, 14 May 2009 - 12:46 AM.

3939.png

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

I agree with DJBpace said, those are good motherboards, and a good PSU option. and for future proof, a quad core will do you nice. if not, the kuma you have is based off the phenom design and will do you nice, but if you have the money the phenoms will last you longer. :D

picard5.jpg

#8 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

DJ,

Im going to go with the athlon for now... I do understand that within the next 2-3 years (maybe 1) Ill need to upgrade and I fully intend to. However, I am on a tight budget, and since this is my first build I dont want to go all out and spend a load of money (Im still in High School). Who knows... I might not hook everything up right and end up frying the computer (just kidding).

Alright, so will my GPU be able to run crysis? How about COD 4, 5? Ill look into the GIGABYTE boards as well. Crysis isnt a big deal but Id like to be able to play it a little. Also, one of you said that Mass Effect wouldnt be able to run at MAX settings. I want to be able to play it on all the highest settings... will my GPU not be able to handle that?

And also, my case has already been ordered and shipped...

I like the case, the only problem will be cooling, which I plan to do by adding an extra fan.

Also, can I upgrade Vista to 64 bit via internet?

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

vista 64 bit comes with 64 bit internet explorer. and yes you will be able to play COD4 and 5, and even crysis, on that system. My system is running a athlon x2 6000+ windsor, which is about a comparable processor to yours (I have a higher clock speed, but the architecture and stepped cache of your kuma make it an even match) on a older gigabyte motherboard and a Saphire 3870 x2 which is the last series high end video card, and I run both COD4 and COD5 maxed out at 1920 x 1080 at 90+ fps (cant measure higher because COD has a frame limiter and Im to lazy to disable it) and the 4830 should be perhaps slightly lower performing if not equal to my 3870 x2, and 4 gigs of ram is more then enough memory.

a quad core right now is not really needed, its overkill for most modern games/programs, however, a good idea because the software will catch up soon, quad cores are only needed to more future proof your computer. Also, as far as crysis is concerned, if you dont care about the eye candy, you can play it on a much lower rated system. My dual core system will run Crysis maxed out at 1680 x 1050 at about 15-25 fps sometimes up to 30-35 depending on whats going on, and if I lower the tecture settings I can get much better performance out of it. and the Kuma that you have chosen is a good CPU I have used it in a build for my dad. I would recomend a different PSU and probably a good gigabyte motherboard to ensure it will last longer, and your good to go. Feel welcome to get on here and ask if you need any help with the installation. :D

picard5.jpg

#10 josephbc

josephbc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

It looks like a decent build. it can't play crysis though.
http://www.crysis-online.com/page/system-requirements.html
When I build a computer, even though I'm not a gamer I try and reach those specs so I know it can do just about anything.
What OS are you planning to put on it?
"Questions are the answer."

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

I just looked at the requirements for Crysis.
Why wouldn't the build play it ???
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#12 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Ill be running 32bit vista (and I researched it, and you dont have to have 64bit to get 4G ram... 32Bit can handle 32G)

Anyway, I looked up the specs for crysis, and I agree... Ill be able to play it, Im just not sure how well It will handle high settings but I guess we will find out.

I would like a little more input on the case. Even though I have already oredered it I would still like comments. How much cooling will I need for my build? Are the two stock fans enough? Do I need to get another for the side mount? Ive also thought about running my Air Conditioning pipe into the back of the computer during the summer... good idea?

Thank you all for your suggestions... I will probably go with the GIGABYTE board that was mentioned above.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

32-bit Vista is limited to 4GB, but only 3 to 3.5GB will be usable. I don't know where you got the 32-bit can handle 32GB thing...

Gamers are irritated with the makers of Crysis, the recommended requirements are far below what can run the game smoothly. If you want to run Crysis with all the eye candy at 30fps or higher, you need a PC that is high end. For instance, a PC with an Intel Core 2 Quad QX9770 (OC'd to 3.66), 4GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 4870 with the in-game graphics settings at Gamer (not the highest setting in-game) can run the game at 41fps. That's a good rate for Crysis. Mass Effect is not a demanding game, I have a 9800GTX and it runs the game fine. I ran the game in non-SLI mode and the frame rate was above 30. As for 64-bit Windows, it will run all the games you listed just fine and, to clarify on what an earlier poster said, that OS comes with both 64 and 32-bit Internet Explorer browsers. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU at a later date you will spend more money in the end since you will be buying a processor now and one later, but thankfully all AM3 CPU's are backwards compatible with most AM2/AM2+ motherboards so you will have plenty of options.

Edited by DJBPace07, 14 May 2009 - 08:55 PM.

3939.png

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Ive also thought about running my Air Conditioning pipe into the back of the computer during the summer... good idea?

I don't think so.
You don't want air with a high moisture content pip[ed in to a computer.

I think your getting a bit obsessive about cooling.
The X1800 XL I have in this unit puts out a LOT of heat.
The overclocked CPU doesn't exactly run cool.
I have 1 fan in front, 1 in back.
The only reason I have the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 is because I caught it on sale/w free shipping.
It gets pretty darn hot in here at times & nothing overheats.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#15 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Ive got a buddy who has about the same build as I do. He has a single core... An AMD Ahtlon FX, and he runs Crysis fine. Ive seen it on high settings, so Im pretty sure my build should be able to handle it. And if it doesnt Ill settle with Mass effect.

I understand that the quad cores are great, but I dont have enough money for it, and I dotn need that much power, and probably wont for a couple of years, and by that time I will be looking to upgrade.

ny comments on case cooling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users