Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OrganicIntelligence

OrganicIntelligence

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Ok here goes...

SPECS:

PC-
HP Pavilion 6736 kr
OS-
Windows 2000
Motherboard-
115661 Cognac 2000731
BIOS-
Revision- 2.03 - 8/12/2000
Core version- 4.06
Old Mem-
1 stick 128MB, 1 stick 64MB
New Mem-
2 sticks of 256MB PC100 NON-ECC DIMM for a max. of 512MB
Purchased from EDGE Tech Corp.

(Yes this computer is freakin stone-age :thumbsup:)

PROBLEM:
After installing both new sticks of memory, I get this blue screen of death every time before Windows bootup:

STOP: 0x000000a5 (0X00000002, 0x8209CB08, 0x82044C88, 0x00000004)

ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification.

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant.

Visit www.hardware-update.com for updated BIOS.

If unable to obtain updated BIOS or latest BIOS supplied by vendor not ACPI compliant, turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

SOLUTIONS ATTEMPTED:
  • Switching the memory to different slots
  • Cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser
  • Cleaning the slots with compressed air
  • Making sure the sticks are fully locked in
  • Using just one new stick alone and with a stick of older/lesser memory (128MB)
  • Updating my BIOS (none available for Win2k)
  • Returning the memory in exchange for new sticks.
I just recieved my new/exchanged sticks (a freaking month after I sent them!!) and installed them. Unfortunately I was let down/frustrated once again by a BSOD and have officially run out of options.
The only attempted solution that worked was when using ONE new stick alone or coupled with one old stick (128MB) in either slot. Windows booted up just fine that way and there were no errors. Ultimately this might have to do for me, and it's acceptable, however I would really love to get both NEW sticks installed and functioning (with Win2k). I don't like spending the money and having one extra stick of 256MB just lying around when even maximum RAM (512MB) is mind-numbingly slow enough nowadays!

So... I beg of the PC super-geniuses here- please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256841

Louis

#3 OrganicIntelligence

OrganicIntelligence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

Thanks hamluis.

I have seen that support page before. Though I'm kinda foggy on its proposed resolution. I vaguely remember reading more (than the BSOD) about the HAL installation when I had this memory problem originally.
However, I believe I'd need some sort of installation disk to do so. Is this correct? If so, would that be the OS installation disk? If not, then which setup screen is it talking about? Would I need to re-install windows? Is it risky to mess with the HAL in this manner?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Sorry...I can't tell you any more than that link does as I've not experienced this particular type of problem.

Wait for other inputs from members/visitors.

Louis

FWIW: Anytime that Microsoft refers to a disk...they are talking about a Genuine MS XP CD, not recovery/restore disks. Recovery/restore disks are prepared by the manufacturer of the system and instructions for using such should be in the owner's manual and/or at the website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification.

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant.

I'd just go ahead and flash the bios. There are two bios updates offered by HP for that motherboard that you can find here. HP Pavilion Cognac BIOS Update 3.07 9-17-01 is the latest one so go with that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 OrganicIntelligence

OrganicIntelligence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'd just go ahead and flash the bios. There are two bios updates offered by HP for that motherboard that you can find here. HP Pavilion Cognac BIOS Update 3.07 9-17-01 is the latest one so go with that.

Hmm, I've checked the HP site as well. Your link seems to point to a BIOS update for Windows ME. I use Windows 2000, and unfortunately there's no update for my OS. Do you think it will work anyway? Is it just the motherboard that matters, not the OS?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'm not sure why HP does it that way but the bios is independent of operating system. If you go here and click the Microsoft Windows XP link you'll see it mentions ME and XP. Doesn't really make any sense to me. Anyway, flashing the bios won't do any harm assuming it goes alright. Considering the fact that the flash is from 2001 I'm sure they would have pulled it by now if there were any issues. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users