Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator vs. Power User Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chasoscar

chasoscar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:21 PM

I just finished building a new system and running XPpro.

I’ve heard that after getting a new system setup that it is more “secure” to not run as Administrator. I was wanting to change my settings to either Power User or Limited User and only run as Administrator when needed.

Im sure a power user account has more privilege than a limited user account but I am not sure to what degree or if any compromises are made to security by running as a Power user as opposed to Limited User account. I am aware that some programs refuse to run without Admin privileges.

I want security but I also want convenience. Your opinion of which option would be best would be appreciated.

Thanx
Coscar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:53 AM

Power users is designed for running legacy applications such as ones designed for Win9X and thus have greater access to the computer than the normal users group. They do though still have a great deal of power over the computer.

This is what they can or can not do:

Install programs that do not modify the operating system files or install system services. This means they can not install services packs and updates from microsoft.

Can not install drivers.

Can create local users and groups, but can only edit ones that they have created.

Can change permissions on users, power users, and guests

Can stop and start services that are not started by default.

Can still change system wide settings such as time and date, power, and printer settings.

Hope this helps a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users