Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kmsea

kmsea

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hello hello! I'm having some new problem with my 1.5 years old laptop computer. It's an HP Pavilion dv9500 running Windows Vista with the same hardware it had when it came out of its box.
I'm not sure what happened to it. Everything was fine until I walked away for a short while and when I came back the display was completely black. It was still on but the system was completely unresponsive. I attempted to kill the power. When I turned it back on, the display appeared to activate but there is still no visible output. There appears to be some activity taking place, yet nothing shows up on screen. I suspect something may have burned out, but I have no clue.
Can someone help me determine the problem? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

It sounds like the power inverter or backlight has failed.
T%urn it on & let it "start" .
Take a flashlight ["torch" if you're in the UK] & shine it on the screen.
If you can see a faint disply then one of the 2 above has failed.

If you can not see any thing on the screen the video adapter may have failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 kmsea

kmsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

All right, I started it again. The backlight appears to flash on but still nothing is displayed. In fact, I just heard Vista boot normally - which wasn't happening until now. Is there anything I can do or anything I should try before I start replacing things?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users