Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP windows\temp files won't delete

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 opewind

opewind

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

I am running XP Home SP3 as an administrator and wanted to delete all Windows\Temp files as part of an ATI video card upgrade. Windows has been fully updated and is running McAfee Enterprise antivirus.

There are two files in Windows\Temp that refuse to be deleted and so I suspect there may be an infection. :flowers:

They are:

Perflib_Perfdata_1f8.dat
WFV4.tmp

When I try to delete them these are the messages I get:

"Cannot delete WFV4: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

and

"Cannot delete Perflib_Perfdata_1f8: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

The files don't appear in Safe Mode.

I tried using MSConfig to restart in Diagnostic Startup and receive this message: "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrative account to make the specified changes." Nevertheless, when booted up in Diagnostic Startup mode the files aren't there. (It's possible that I'm remembering this incorrectly; it's possible that the files showed--I'll have to retry that. :thumbsup: )

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

-david

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opewind

opewind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

Oh, I should also mention that I ran a MalwareBytes Anti-Malware quick scan and it came up zero infections.
I also ran Sophos Anti-rootkit which also came up empty.

thanks again.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hello and welcome please try this. You will get a menu of what files to clean.
Next run ATF:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

I just finished up with a similar problem
This is not an infection.

One of our HJT team members provided this information

Go to your Windows temp. folder and find the file.
Right-click on the file and select Properties, then Security, then Advanced

Change the owner to administrator and replace on all sub containers. Apply it, OK it and close the properties box. Add the admin group with full permissions...When adding admin group permissions check the box for applying to all child objects. Remove the check for inherit permissions

You should then be able to delete them without any problems

http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/26073.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 opewind

opewind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this issue but I finally have. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
ATFCleaner didn't affect the files.
In Properties for the files there is no Security tab, only General and Summary.
I've adopted the opinion that they are associated with McAfee Enterprise 8.7i antivirus and am thus inclined to just accept the files' presence.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users