Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've lost my right-click google-ability


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dashie

dashie

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

Not for the first time, tinkering with settings on PCs and stuff has led to a loss of functionality.
I believe it was in making the change in value here:

browser.search.defaulturl
to
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=iw

which did it.

In case it's not clear to you, the very useful Firefox function of selecting text and right-clicking to search google for that selection is what I'm on about. With my change, I just get a google search homepage: previously, I got search results based on the selection. Sorry for the long windedness if you n=knew all along (",)

Can someone look at their about:config settings, and give me the correct value (no, I didn't copy it before tinkering. Yes, I will do next time).

If my suspicions are incorrect, and it's another setting altogether, can you give me the correct key and value? Cheers,

Edited by dashie, 25 June 2005 - 10:22 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

For browser.search.defaulturl, under value, I have:

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dashie

dashie
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

My guess is you speak/read Russian, right? Sadly, I don't.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

What are you talking about, Russian?

You asked for the value of browser.search.defaulturl, in about:config, in Firefox, right?
That's what it is.
Right click it, select Modify, then type in, or paste http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 dashie

dashie
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, I did that.

Many of the links are in cyrillic script for me when I use that. Вперед, for example, is on the link for search.

Weird, huh?

#6 dashie

dashie
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

I eckon that this value is the culprit, tho' I don't remember changing it:

intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache

It currently reads:
windows-1256, ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, KOI8-R, windows-1252

Something tells me if i change that value, i'll get my english google buttons back.

Any ideas?

#7 dashie

dashie
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

As it happens, I deleted my google cookies, and now have normal google right clickability.

Thanks anyway!

#8 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks for letting us know how you did it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users