Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling AIM 6.0

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PJB

PJB

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi, there, first post. I have tried numerous times to uninstall AIM6 and every time I click on the Remove button a pop-up comes from Norton stating that a Trojan tried to enter. Nothing else happens. It won't uninstall. I haven't used IM since '07, so I thought it would free up space on my computer if I just delete the program. Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shwmai

Shwmai

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

You could try uninstalling it in safe mode

#3 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Excuse my computer illiteracy, but what does "safe mode" mean - how?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

If you can't uninstall using add remove programs, try Revo Uninstaller. It's a free program which you can find here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

If you don't want to use Revo,
How to start Windows in Safe Mode (clickable link)

It will tell you what safe is, and how to get to it.

Use the f8 method instead of system configuration.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 May 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#5 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

#6 Shwmai

Shwmai

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Excuse my computer illiteracy, but what does "safe mode" mean - how?

No need to excuse you, I hope you'll excuse me for not elaborating on my suggestion. :thumbsup:
Hope you can resolve your problem.
Regards Shwmai

#7 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

No problem, thanks. It may not be until tomorrow a.m. that I have time to try anything, as it's my work computer and I'm kinda busy with it right now. Will let you know how it turns out!

#8 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

Well, I got the computer in safe mode, no problem. But, it doesn't show the "Start" button where I can get to my control panel. All the icons disappeared into the left side of my computer as well, so there was nothing I could do. Had to use system restore to get the computer back on normal setting. Interestingly, when I checked on the AIM 6 program remove, it now says that I last used the program today! Previously it said it had not been used since 2007, which is true. I'm not using it, so I don't know who is. Nobody's been here, either. Seems rather suspicious to me. All the more reason I need to get rid of it. It just won't go away. I wonder if I disconnect from the internet and then disable the Norton if I can then remove it, then run a scan?

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

Did you try using Revo uninstaller?

#10 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

I don't know what that is.

#11 PJB

PJB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks so very much, Queen Evie! The Revo did a fantastic job. I went as deep as it would go and was totally amazed at how much stuff was in my computer related to AIM! I'll use it again in the future if I need it. Went ahead and just deleted that program too, since my computer is running slow anyway so I don't need anything extra in there. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users