Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm new and I need help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NyDan6969

NyDan6969

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

My name is Dan, I'm a small business (sole proprietor) owner in NY and I use my computer to do my job. I sell retail merchandise to retail stores which requires me to search the web for new dropshippers and new merchanidse. I sometimes end up with viruses and often end up with adware/spyware. I also started using Bit Torrent about a year ago that I'm now finding out was a bad idea.

For some time now my computer has had a problem that causes websites to often show up garbles with text and graphics in the wrong positions and sometimes program code showing up instead of the website. Also graphics and pictures used on websites sometimes show up garbled and part of all of the picture wont be viewable.

Recently the problem got worse and I lost the ability to download files. I can still sometimes download very small files, but only the smallest of the smallest.

I contacted someone on CNET who's been trying to help me, but it seems that the more Malware that I get rid of, the less stable my computer becomes. She suggested that I have HiJack this make me a logfile and post it here for aditional help, but the instructions said to only post them when requested so I'm not posting it yet.

I've been running Avira Antivirus, AdAware, and Spybot Search & Destroy which often found spyware/adware (about 60 or so every few days) which I removed a few times a week. When the problem got worse I was unable to download any new software and the old software wasn't finding the problem. So I've gone to the library the past couple of days so I could download and e-mail myself some new software to help me (the library doesn't have any CD Burners). The new software that I've e-mailed myself is.....
Super Anti Spyware
AutoRun Eater
Mawar-AV
TaskManger Fix
CCleaner
CWShredder
Stinger 260
& HiJack This

The new software helped me to find and remove
Trojan.CWS/VBE
Trojan.Fake-Drop/Gen
Unclassified.Unknown Origin/System
And CWS.MsConfig
I was also able to get rid of the Yahoo & MiniNova Toolbars which I think were just junk that I didn't need but weren't actually Malware.

The problems seem to have gotten worse, I still can't download anything larger than the smallest of files, by TaskManager is still disabled (and none of the attempts to fix it has worked), and websites are getting garbled more often. I'm also limited to what I can download & e-mail to myself. The library computers don't have WinZip, just the generic Zip program and I can't get it to e-mail anything that's 20Meg or larger once it's zipped.

I'd appreciate any help that you can provide to help me resolve this. I need to get my computer up & running ASAP because I need to make rent, and rent day is only 2 weeks away. Let me know if you want me to post the Hijack This Log File.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hewlo first I will move this to the Am I Infected forum from XP...
Let's try to run MBAM

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Next run ATF:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Next run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.36) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users