Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nvidia nForce Networking Controller not working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kcguru

kcguru

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am trying to help a friend fix his laptop, which is a HP Pavilion dv9008nr, running windows xp. At first I thought it was a virus but after running numerous scans, nothing is coming up. The problem I'm having is that I can't connect to the internet using the wireless. When I go into the network connections, it shows that the Wireless network connection, which is using a Broadcom wireless card, is working fine and it says I'm connected to whatever network I'm trying to connect to although I still can't connect to the internet. Under the local Area Connections, which is using the nvidia nForce Networking controller, it says that a network cable is unplugged. I'm not in a place where I can plug directly into the internet using an ethernet cable either. I have tried updating drivers for both cards and still nothing. I have read that a large number of HP Pavilions in this series have had problems with the wireless cards so calling HP would be my last option but I was hoping someone had another suggestion first. Thanks!

Edited by kcguru, 13 May 2009 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

The network cable being unplugged is no problem.
If it bothers you go to the Device Manager & disble the wired adapter.

On the wireless not connecting,

You have clicked on the network connections , selected view available network & the clicked connect ?

Also how did the problem start ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

It just started maybe a week or two ago I think. He just couldn't ever connect to the internet. I'm not sure.

Yeah, I can go into the listing of available networks, connect to the networks, or at least it says I'm connected but I still can't get online at all.

Edited by kcguru, 13 May 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the wireless network adapter , restarting , & letting it reinstall ?

Does it have any software on it for a router or anything to do with the connection other then the network adapter drivers?

One last idea.
If you are using IE go to the Control Panel
Double click the Internet Options icon
When the box opens click on the Security tab
Make sure all zones are set to default.
If it is IE7 click on the Advanced tab
Scroll down to Security
Locate the Phishing Filter
Disable it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

How do I uninstall and reinstall the network adapter?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Go to the Control Panel
Double click the System icon
When the box opens click on the Hardware tab
open the device manager
Click the + by Network Adapters to expand it
Right click the Wireless adapter
On the menu click Uninstall
Proceed to uninstall
close out to the desktop
restart the unit.

#7 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Will it reinstall on rebooting?

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

It should reinstall with no problem.
If iy doesn't go to the HP website & download the driver.
[Put it on a USB flash drive yo transfer it]

#9 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

Ok, I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but I still have the same problem. The nvidia nForce one says cable unplugged and the Broadcom wireless one says it's connected to the network I want it to but still no internet.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

The only suggestion I have is hook a cable to it & see if it goes online.
If it does the wireless adapter is faulty.
If it doesn't I'd do a good virus scan.

#11 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

Alright, I'll try that. Can you recommend a good virus scan?

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Doesn't it have a anti-virus program installed ?

#13 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

He had an expired version of norton on it, which he then removed and installed mcafee, which he had purchased but because he can't connect to the internet, it won't update itself. So I can download stuff on a flash drive to install on the laptop but it won't have updated definitions. I've scanned it with malware bytes anti-bytes and it did an initial scan with mcafee and it removed some cookies. Someone had suggested it might be the backdoor.prorat thingy.

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Mcafee Used to be a pretty good AV.
I've lost ALL confidence in it.
I've removed to many viruses that Mcafee didn't catch from computer .

Try AVG.
Download, put the .exe on a USB flash drive & install it

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fr...cdlPid=11014801

Download the latest update here,

http://free.avg.com/softw/80free/update/u7avi1523e4.bin

You can install it by updating from a file.

You'll have to uninstall McAfee to avoid conflicts !

#15 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

So I'm tryin to install AVG but everytime I get an error message, which when I looked around, meant I had another anti-virus program running, which had stopped the installation. I have no idea what anti-virus software is running because I removed every other anti-virus program on the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users