Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change System/Boot drive letter???pls help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hareesh

Hareesh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

hi
pls help
presently my windows Xp sp2 is installed in drive E.
I want to apply a patch to a software......for security reasons
but the patch is only applicable to C which should be boot drive.........but my boot drive is E
wat can i do?
i just wanted to change drive litter from e to c, without reboot i'll apply patch, then i'll change it back to e!
can i use partition magic 8 for this purpose!!

please help!! reply to my doubts!!!!
HareesH
Visit our blogs
Made4Tech
YoogleTech
YoogleSoft
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

Instructions to change a drive letter here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

The only way that I know that a user can change a partition letter to C: when it is something else

a. Remove all other drives (other than 1 optical) and do a repair install (I've done this one).

b. Possibly remove all other drives and try the fixboot or bootcfg command (not tried, but it seems that it may work).

You need to remove all other drives to avoid the Windows letter assignment based on installation.

Note this line from link posted by FJB: "Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in."

Louis

#4 Hareesh

Hareesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

Instructions to change a drive letter here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

This i had tried b4. but doesnt work on partition wid windows(boot partition)

The only way that I know that a user can change a partition letter to C: when it is something else

a. Remove all other drives (other than 1 optical) and do a repair install (I've done this one).

b. Possibly remove all other drives and try the fixboot or bootcfg command (not tried, but it seems that it may work).

You need to remove all other drives to avoid the Windows letter assignment based on installation.

Note this line from link posted by FJB: "Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in."

Louis

cud u pls explain me what you mean!!
i think you r saying abot reformatting.
but i'm lookin for somway other than reformatting my computer.
i need any software or let it be manual steps......i dont want to reformat
pls reply
HareesH
Visit our blogs
Made4Tech
YoogleTech
YoogleSoft
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

More detailed suggestions, advice, info at Microsoft guidance: MS, XP Repair Install Procedures - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users