Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shutting down screen blinking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 top_cat

top_cat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi! I have a problem with my pc that i cant solve on myself. For couple of months now my computer has been shutting down and the screen blinking every time i try to do something. When i open a web page, when i scroll down, when i try to move an icon on my desktop when i try to do almost anything on my computer my screen blinks and freezes and if i try to do more things at the same time, it blinks and then i get no input signal sign on my screen and the computer reboots itself. After reboot, sometimes, i get the message, that computer had to shut down because of some internal error. I have noticed that i can view web pages that have less or smaller pictures more easily then the ones with more pics or banners (the screen is not blinking so much, but still is blinking). I can view BC with no problems and my computer isn't blinking as i'm writing this.

this is the hardware in my computer:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00ghz
Asus P5GD1 PRO
1GB DDR RAM (2 discs 512)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600 GT 128mb
Maxtor 6L200M0 200GB
NEC DVD RW ND-3540A
Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E
Realtek High Definition Audio

All this time now, i've been trying to fix this problem on my own but nothing seems to be getting better no matter what i do. I've tried replacing the RAM discs cuz i was sure that they were causing the problems, nothing. Then i tried replacing the power suply and all the cables, reset BIOS and still nothing. I tested my CPU unit continiously for 24 hours and monitored temperatures and all was normal. Just in case i opend and cleaned my CPU unit and added new themal paste, nothing. Then i scaned my comp with varius antivirus, malware, ad aware programs and still nothing.

I dont know what more to do. I could buy new motherboard and try that but that would cost me some money and i dont even know if it would work. Do you have any idea what is causing all this problems and what more could i try to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You

TC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

It seems about the only thing you didn't try is the video card.

I suggest getting the newest drivers for the video card & installing them.

If that doesn't help try uninstalling your video card & trying a different one.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 top_cat

top_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

Ok, thanks. I will try. I'll let you know if it worked.

#4 cosmo_wanda

cosmo_wanda

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:17 AM

If not worked, try cleanup your PC, may dirty on hardware causing this :tumbup2:

#5 Lee30

Lee30

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hi there

i have been having the same problem as top_cat and would like to have an idea of how you may have fixed the problem if you managed to that is i also have the same make motherboard but the model is slightly older its a P4PE2-x running a intel P4 2.4 my ram is 1gb running 2x 80gb seagate hard disks the graphics is a nvidia 5200 128ram.

again i had the same problem but my problem only happens about 30 to 60 minutes after i turn my aircon on at night but during the day when aircon is off the PC is fine not a single problem well apart from slow internet so top-cat is that the same for you that your system starts flashing screen and the crashes when in a cool room.

i did notice something else i formatted my system last night it had taken alot longer than normal before i could reformat the drive and reinstall XP within 30 to 40 minutes last night it taken double that.

here is what i have done to solve the problem i have changed the memory changed the PSU to a larger wattage changed all the IDE cables cleaned the motherboard and the CPU heatsink changed my main hard drive to a spaire known working drive updated all my drivers and i did return the graphics card and got a replacement and still the same issue.

i am just wondering if asus motherboard dont like nvidia just going on past experiance from my old MSI board.

i hope someone or even top-cat can come back to me with a possible fix for this as i have ran out of ideas and normaly im good at fixing computers .

many thanks to all
have a nice day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users